Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Feckin eejit
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a hard time with some tying techniques. Are there books, other than the Benchside Reference, that cover some of the trickier tying techniques?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
In my opinion, if you could get an honest answer from most tyers they would tell you that most of the pattern books or instruction manuals they own sit collecting dust. Not to say that the Benchside Reference isn't the finest book of its kind out there.
Most books will show you either a photo of a pattern and a recipe and let you figure out the engineering; or they will give you a photo of every step of the process. Most of the latter type of books will only include basic patterns and nothing too complicated.
The best source to show you technique is the Internet. Search the flies you want to tie and watch not just one tyer and how he or she ties the pattern but watch a few. There you will learn twists in techniques that will help you build your repertoire of methods and put more skills under your belt. Look on here at Scott's excellent offerings. You can learn a great deal from tyers like him and others that take the time to post photo and video how-to-do-its.
The Benchside Reference is a great book. Well worth owning. But you can also find on the web so much more than you will find in most books and you can take the money saved by not buying it and placing it into quality materials. This will lead you towards tying quality flies, more so than trying to duplicate a pattern with inferior materials.

·
Feckin eejit
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Scott's posts and flies are an inspiration. I'll take your advice and see if I can find more online videos featuring the tying techniques I'm finding hard to master.

Appreciate the advice.

·
Uck Uck Uck, bitches
7,589 Posts
You acquire basic skills, proportions to hook size, tying material selection and apply what you do know to what you want to do...and practice and experiment...and tie ugly flies sometimes and try them...you are gonna lose a lot of flies anyway if you fish...but then what do I know...I have gone through the Best 1000 by Randy Setzer I have one nice copy , one damn near shredded and a user...But U do know to be efficient especially if tying tiny...and know that I don't have the patience to tie those braided body recipes...screw that ...I don't wanna tie anything that makes me feel like a clutz...unless I am tying some Ludicrous Lake flies...then all bets are off...hence the "Penguin in Bondage" for Ludicrous lake...it makes it more "sporting."
Toy Gesture Finger Creative arts Twig

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Thank you. Scott's posts and flies are an inspiration. I'll take your advice and see if I can find more online videos featuring the tying techniques I'm finding hard to master.

Appreciate the advice.
And don't be afraid to ask people. Either here or if you find something on youtube, ask the tyer posting the video for advice on the techniques he uses to tie. Fly tyers are a generous lot and nobody was cranking out flawless flies right off the bat. We all started at the same place.

·
Googlemeister
2,710 Posts
I've been having a hard time with some tying techniques. Are there books, other than the Benchside Reference, that cover some of the trickier tying techniques?
such as?

what techniques?

·
1,696 Posts
As SquamishPoacher mentioned, Benchside Reference is sort of the reference book for techniques. That said, it's a little dense/inaccessible. I shouldn't say that. I should say that it's not very inviting.

I think Kaufmann's two tying books are still some of the best at talking bout technique and why, while stepping through a pattern. They are a little dated now, though. The Kaufmann books are mostly general trout patterns--even those that are of their creation--and there's a real emphasis on what he's trying to teach with the patterns.

I've enjoyed Barr's book a lot, though it is much more specific to his patterns. Same thing with Clouser's book, though you have to be into bass or saltwater to really make that one worthwhile.

Any video by K Galloup on the 'webs will give you 20x more info than you wanted. It's fascinating, if you're in the mood.

·
Uck Uck Uck, bitches
7,589 Posts
I recently went to a little seminar at a Portland outdoor thing...Denny Rickartswas the presenter,,,I felt a lot dumber when he was done...just do what you feel and quit relying on guys backed by money to go at the right time to the right place with maybe right pattern...it was shallow BS...don't pay for that sheet...you will figure it out on your own and be happier...there are no gurus...Ha!...their thing is to extract money from you

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I went to a seminar put on by a local club. Brian Chan was the guest and he probably was paid a fee but the club also made some money from it and sold a few memberships, ball caps and the like. It was a good seminar, cost us each fifty bucks and went from about 9:30 a.m. until about 4 p.m. with a break for sandwiches and coffee provided by the club.
Most who know of him are aware he knows his stuff. Academically as well as in practice as a fisherman. He was also polite and very approachable. I would go see him again in a minute.

·
Uck Uck Uck, bitches
7,589 Posts
I went to a seminar put on by a local club. Brian Chan was the guest and he probably was paid a fee but the club also made some money from it and sold a few memberships, ball caps and the like. It was a good seminar, cost us each fifty bucks and went from about 9:30 a.m. until about 4 p.m. with a break for sandwiches and coffee provided by the club.
Most who know of him are aware he knows his stuff. Academically as well as in practice as a fisherman. He was also polite and very approachable. I would go see him again in a minute.
Brian is great

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
A.K. Best's Production Fly Tying (his other books are excellent, too), any of Charlie Craven's books and his website http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/index.cfm
which has some of the best tutorials you'll find anywhere. Hans Weilenmann's and Davie McPhail's videos are priceless, too.
Those guys will teach you all about thread control and proportion; learn that and you can tie pretty much anything.
Hans Weilenmann
Regards,
Scott

·
Feckin eejit
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry! Missed most of the replies.

I've been tying for a couple of years and the two techniques with which I have the hardest time getting acceptable results are spinning hair for muddlers, and layering materials - actually on controlling the head size when I layering several materials. There are others where I don't think I'm doing a good job but these two have produced more revolting flies than any others.

The problem(s) I'm trying to overcome are technique-related, not with someone's favorite pattern. I've tied (and then recycled) scores of flies I didn't plan to use to learn how to tie them. I'd be happy to watch someone tying flies, but down here I'm hours away from a fly shop or a club, and I'm the guy folks snicker at because I use a fly rod (and that's why you folks put up with me).

I've heard that either volume by Kaufman is a good reference, thanks for another recommendation.

I watched Bob Clouser tie years ago - and I'm a champ with Clousers - and without his instructions, I'd never have figured out how to pinch hair into a tight oval. I've picked up some good hints from videos by Davey McPhail and SMHAEN, and Scott's and Silverfly's posts here have been a great help, but I have a lot of gaps in what I know.

I used Kelly Galloup's tutorial on vises when I was shopping for a rotary and now I'll go check out his tying videos. Thank you.

I also haven't watched any of Hans Weilenmann's tutorials but will search them out. Thanks, Scott.

I hope to invent a unique and successful salmon fly that I can name the Damned Fly, so when one of the gear guys around me asks what I used to catch that big king, I can say "Just a Damned Fly." ;)

Thanks all. I apologize for leaving this hanging.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.