Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Veðrfölnir
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there was a house in Smithers..

Would it get used enough to cover the mortgage as a fishing BnB?

Total the mortgage would be roughly $7200 Canadian, per year.

That means I would have to get something in the ballpark of $35/night for each bedroom, for an average of two months per year, to justify the mortgage and rental insurance. The nice hotels are more per night than the entire house would cost.

Would any of you be interested in having a house to stay in, versus camping or hotel?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
If the house is halfway presentable, my initial reply is: Hell, yes!

Reactions: Shamoo

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I would use it for sure

·
Registered
397 Posts
$20 a day. That's what your'e looking at for the mortgage. Don't know if that covers insurance premiums, property tax, utilities, and such. Don't forget maintenance costs as well. Try to come up with a figure to cover all that, add 10-15% to it and see if that number works for you. Look around for similar operations in the area, if any, and see how they appear to be doing.

Good luck,
Mike

·
Been steelhead fishing once
359 Posts
Paying someone to manage it? I hope so.

I must say that the number one culprit of seeing my fishing buddies less has been their purchase of a house for personal shelter or for renting out. I can't count the number of times they say no due to house related activities. This is just an anecdotal observation so take it as such.

My method is to rent a nice place and call the landlord when something breaks. I know, I know, equity... blah, blah, blah, long-term investment... blah, blah, blah, where will you live in retirement... blah, blah, blah. I'm not missing a weekend of fishing to replace a water heater, etc. There are enough weddings, funerals, other shit to blow a fishing weekend.

Driving a beater with no monthly car note works well too. This can bite you in the ass with maintenance work on a fishing weekend though.

Then one could have a better paying job or have some fraction of blue blood in their veins and avoid all these issues.

Good luck with your decision. Just make sure you are still fly fishing your way through life and not real-estating your way through life. Good luck.

Oh, and put me down for 6 nights/7 days next year...

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
At the risk of sounding like a complete heretic, what fishing options are there other than steelhead? Don't get me wrong, I'd be very interested in making the pilgrimage for big steel - especially on dries. But given the affordable accommodations, that makes other species appealing as well. Might be a good way to extend the rental season considerably.

I'd be interested to see an all species fishing calendar for the area. Particularly the run timing for chinook (springs). Always dreamed about fishing the Skeena system for huge chinook - especially on the fly.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Reactions: dust in the wind
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.