Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3 year old Simms Blackfoot waders started leaking on the back of my thighs. Checking things out the fabric had started to wrinkle right where the edge of my float tube cushion ends.

The continual movement with weight on that area broke down the waders and caused the leak. I learned that is why the Simms expensive waders recommended for drift boats have a vinyl like coating on the back side.

I will take responsibility for the leak. However I feel that wader manufacturers should inform consumers of the consequences of using some breathables with float tubes.

I did get 3 years and around 200 trips with these waders and knew that next year they needed to be replaced. Most of the time I am wading and probably had around 50 or 60 hours in the tube.

Just a heads up and something to consider.

Dave

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Hey Dave,
I feel that pain, and if it's any consequence I've never made it 3 yrs on any set of waders...that long and 200 trips sounds like more of a plug for Simms than anything, so IMO you've done ok. My last G3's went less than 1.5 yr but that was a lot of hrs and I live in my tube. For what it's worth, some reinforcement where the busy spots are goes a long way. There's no way the mfr can know how each of us will put stress on his/her waders. I've reinforced w/ aquaseal and even duct tape where the seams on mine get a lot of wear from the tube. I'm not familiar with the ones you have but I'm wondering how durable the legs are (how many layers they have). Beyond that, from what you said I'd consider sending them in w/ request for repair if it's more damage than you can home-fix.

Good luck,
Tim

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tim,

What my waders go through I am surprised they lasted this long. Though I was surprised to get the leaks in the back of the legs but should have guessed as much in that the waders are a 2 ply construction and the bottom of Simms price line.

The reinforcement sounds like a winner. Something I will apply on the next set of waders. I did the aquaseal thing but the damage is apparently too extensive. The overall condition is pretty marginal so to send them in would probably be good money down a rat hole. Lots of hours and lots of miles on these waders and they have seen a lot of brush and blackberries. Overall they have been a good value for the money. The operator seems to be a bit deficient though.

Jim,
I do use my canoe a lot but there are places that I go that I don't feel upto portaging it and the tube is the choice.

Dave

·
Registered
153 Posts
I bought a pair of Simms Guide 3 five years ago. I fish all year long, winter stealheading and float tubing during the spring and summer. I have yet to have a leak. I just spent 5 hours out on Leach lake the other day with those 5 year old waders and had no problems. But I wasn't rubbing my legs against any thing either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.