Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Sage One 6 weight and promptly broke it on my 1st trip to the beach. No idea how. I'm confident that there was nothing wrong with it upon purchase. Fished with it all day. I switched to a larger clousers fly and on the 5th cast with it the rod snapped right above the 1st butt section above the grip.

It came with an unregistered warranty card. What is the process to get it fixed?

So bummed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Ouch. I'm sure u can prove you recently purchased it with your receipt. They'll take care of you. Usually easy to just take it to your local fly shop and they'll send it in. Those are tough blanks too. Weird.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most likely user error as I hit the rod with my fly numerous times. I got tired and form got sloppy. What causes the fly to hit the rod? The wind picked up a little and I was hitting every other cast.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Presumably the fly wasn't striking the rod in the vicinity of the break. Was it? A likely cause might be that the ferrule was loose and not snugged tight. That could produce a break near the ferrule.

Good luck. Sage will probably take care of you.

·
Fish Fiend
203 Posts
If the fly was hitting the rod, that's what broke it. Send it in to Sage for a $75 shipping and handling fee or take it to bainbridge island yourself and its a free repair.

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
I don't think I've ever had a rod break clean like that. Weird!
I never had either...until my 29th year of fishing.

I have fallen, pinched, or had fish break rods before, but never had one "clean snap" until last year.

The same rod, on its first day, and then again on its first day after being repaired (different spot), both clean breaks.

I wonder if it's the way they are making them so thin, to be "lighter"?

·
Lue Taylor/dbfly
2,550 Posts
There could have been a burr on that guide which cut into the blank. Go to Sage site fill out their repair tag and also give them a call tell them what happen may fix for free plus freight to them. I had one do the same I didn't make a cast was pulling line out snap at the guide tip 4 inches down

·
Make my day
4,820 Posts
Guess it's like golf. (Not that I would know) I developed a hitch in my cast. One of the guys in my club is a certified casting instructor. He was able to identify and fix it, in a few casts.

I wasn't hitting my rod, just a tailing loop. Man was it annoying.

Had me snap my wrist at the end of my forward cast a little. Bam! I guess it was all of that long rod time I had been doing.

Reactions: Thrasybulus

·
Wishin I was on the Sauk
4,449 Posts
Sage rods break, they tend to be very light= brittle =breaks. While guiding in AK I would have clients fishing pinks with a 8wts and would break a couple a week down by the butt every time. No high sticking or fly contact, these where not high end sage rods either.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I never had either...until my 29th year of fishing.

I have fallen, pinched, or had fish break rods before, but never had one "clean snap" until last year.

The same rod, on its first day, and then again on its first day after being repaired (different spot), both clean breaks.

I wonder if it's the way they are making them so thin, to be "lighter"?
The walls are actually pretty thick on the Sage rods with the Konnetic technology.
A friend of mine had a similar breakage last week of his 7 wt BVK while casting. It happens.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Presumably the fly wasn't striking the rod in the vicinity of the break. Was it? A likely cause might be that the ferrule was loose and not snugged tight. That could produce a break near the ferrule.

Good luck. Sage will probably take care of you.
The one loose ferrule breakage I've seen split longitudinally through the ferrule, not a clean break above the ferrule. Don't know if that is typical though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.