Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were going to explore a new area that supposedly had browns in it, what would flies would you not dare leave behind. It would be nice to have all of the bases covered. Mice and crayfish are both readily available, I would love to be surprised and have something new to tie and try on the water. Thanks for your input.
Tight Lines:hmmm :beer2

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
ahhh....the infamous 8-12 lb brown trout system. I just heard about this last week and am in the works for planning a trip over there. Suppose to be HUGE fish.

~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Like you know where Im talking about....jeeeesssshhhh, all you ever do is mooch information off others and never do any exploring on your own ;-) :p }(

Lets hit it sometime soon??

~Patrick ><>

·
Slainte
6,629 Posts
I've been tying bucktail streamers for bass and there's no reason they won't work on big browns. Simple patterns with white, copper flashabou, and dark olive on a bentback 3X long streamer hook #6 to #2.

I'm gonna take a couple to Dry Falls. Let Y'all know..

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After a work week like this last one I am going to be out tommorrow from sun up to sun down, which should allow me plenty of time to try all kinds of patterns. Thanks everybody for your thoughts, I will post results.:thumb
hope everybody has tight lines this weekend.

G

·
This time of year, I hear those big browns in that "one lake" will recognize a properly presented dumb-baby-rattler pattern fished in the film... but you have to go 6x, even at night (hand-woven flourocarbon if you have time). If you see babies around molting for the first time, tie a few with a 10" shuck when you get a break from all the "heavy bangin'" with Downtown Leroy Brown-Trout
:smokin

PS Just kidding about the 10" shuck - go longer if you're feeling wiley as a Roper

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
At night or dusk, best at about 11:00 PM, big browns loose most of their caution and will hit most anything, but a big black leech will also nick rainbows so that would be my choice. In the day, use big nymphs right on the bottom along seams and slight riffles and behind as well as in front of rocks.
Don't forget egg patterns because browns go wild over them. In the old days, eggs were my bait of choice and I could nail fish after fish. These days, you could probably catch a couple or so.
Skated flies in heavy water can bring savage strikes because no one fishes heavy water. Look for some of this with a rock or two in it. Try a size 12 Adams.
When browns are picky, forget it. Remember, nine out of ten of them have a degree in fishermen from the Humbolt Graduate School of Humans.:professor

Try this trick: Get a floating line ready to pay out. Find a piece of wood that is flat (a shingle is perfect). Float the mouse into the hole and then jerk him off (of the wood, not the other very unseemly manuever). Make a little jiggle, not much, because mice are not strong swimmers. Hold on if you see a big swirl. Let him turn before you set the hook. Have a plan as to how you are going to take him to hand. Where will you run?
Here's another: trap a mouse in the backyard or field. Gut the little bastard. Dry for a few days until the odor is bearable. Now imbed a nice hook (1/0). Sew shut.
You might get popped here for using bait. But remember, your fly is dead, not alive. He consists mostly of hair and hide, two favorites of fly tyers.
Show where the mouse has been sewn. Mention that you think it might have retro virus and your fly should probably not be touched. Good luck.
Bob:thumb

·
Flaccid Member
3,875 Posts
what do i know, im just a kid

i have never caught a brown. are there any places near the everett-marysville area that hold browns? i think martha lake (warm beach) does but im not sure about populations/regularity of stocking, etc. PM if necessary.:thumb

~sean~

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.