1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Browns do jump and they have a nasty habit of jumping hard and low directly away from you. In mid-jump they then swap ends and let their momentum rip your hook out, while you are saying, "What the hell was that?":bawling

·
Another Flyfisherman
749 Posts
I agree as well. This guy that I caught last november in the Thompson River in NW Montana (in some of the COLDEST water I have ever waded) had more acrobatics than alot of bows and cutts that I have caught. They go Airborne!

Nice Brownie Chris! Gotta Love Montana!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yep, you're right...they can and sometimes do jump. Not as often as a bow though. One of the most lively trout I've ever seen was a brown that weighed several pounds on the Beaverhead hooked in deep water on a heavy nymph rig. Jumped 4-5 times and provoked an ultimately unsuccessful chase in a drift boat...we didn't land that beast. Also caught a leaper this January at Pass Lake...16" brown in cold water. Nice pic!

-Crock

·
Registered
24 Posts
In terms of Rock Creek flows this week should be very good. We have had a run of cool weather and the flows have dropped and leveled. We always get one last run of cool weather sometime in the beginning of May and it brings some excellent angling before they all start spitting trees. If I was going to wade it I would head up by Gillie's Bridge, that water gets the warmest first.

·
Another Flyfisherman
749 Posts
I also go in from the HWY 2 side...I was also down past the 2nd bridge, up a ways before you come to the 3rd bridge with the cabin right down by the water. That spot I was fishing was a little off the road, but still pretty obvious. That fish was 18 inches. I caught 3 other bows out of the same slot that were about 18 inches. The Brown was caught on thanksgiving day. Thats a Fun river.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.