Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The browns are starting to stage at my favorite fishing spot. I've been keeping a close eye on this location. The browns always show up right as the kokanee finish their spawn, when the water hits that magic temp. Some of these browns are absolutlely monstorous.
My question is what the hell will they bite. I've had success in the past waking big streamers to trigger territorial responses, but nothing worked last night. Short of using kokanee egg imitiations(which I know work), does anyone have some advice on fly-patterns?

·
Registered
890 Posts
If you can find a shallower run that's semi calm... Try a mouse pattern... Streamers I like various leech patterns in various dark colors with a little flash... Hope this helps a little for what it's worth.

·
Registered
867 Posts
+1 for a small dark nymph with some movement and flash. Maybe a #14 soft hackle, flashback pheasant tail..
Tie it as a dropper above your streamer - can't hurt. Good luck, and pictures please.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I'd fish the last hr of dusk before dark and then another couple if the regs permit. Something simple and black after dark, you could try dragging a mouse but you'll risk the fright of your life if something goes for it :) I'd fish strong gear, not one for the 5/6 wts maybe even 7 wt especially if you've seen some of the 'suitors'. Night is typically best for big browns, that's when they go on the prowl for dinner. But I've never fished for staging ones maybe they feed differently, I dunno. Aggression could be a factor.

Dave

·
Registered
2,125 Posts

·
Joe Streamer
4,156 Posts
Old Man Jim has a good suggestion: Go smaller. If the fish aren't super aggressive, using a big steamer might not work. Try smaller flies, and even small streamers.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. It seemed like some of them are sipping small flies. I noticed some October caddis tonight, maybe that's why fish are going airborn randomly. Time to hit the tying-bench.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
kelly galloup's articulated streamers! dont tell anyone but i caught a steelhead at ringold on the dark sex dungeon. kelly's last 2 dvd's were very good. he ties several articulated streamers and tells how to fish them. mike w

·
Registered
192 Posts
My first choice is usually a big streamer, but there have been times when they just won't hit it. If thats the case then I suppose nymphs would be worth a shot, but in most of my experiences if they won't hit a streamer thats right in front of their face then they aren't gonna hit anything. That said, don't give up easily, sometimes you'll work a single fish for a pretty long time before you get it to hit. I've had a few fish that took me around 20 minutes or more to hook. On one of them I changed flies probably 4 times and put flies within a foot or two of his head at least a dozen times and he wouldn't touch it and then all of a sudden he just decided to whack my fly. I guess my main point is just to be persistent. Oh, and as far as streamer patterns go, check out the Sex Dungeon. It's one of the best streamer patterns I've ever fished. Just make sure you put enough weight in front of it to get it down.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like articulated streamers usually, but the aggression factor hasn't kicked in. Tonight white and yellow seemed to catch their attention, but not enough to trigger a strike. Kokanee eggs didn't work. I think smaller is the key. I'll take another crack at it tomorrow night

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.