Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of a friend sold me a very little used Bucks Bag - high adventure model pontoon boat for $75. Is this a good price?
The frame has a little rust on it. What would be the best way to get the rust off and what should I repaint it with? Is there a wheel set up I can buy or do I have to build my own? Need some kind of anchor systen also. Any tips or info on this boat would be greatlt appreciated.
Thank You

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
If the tubes hold air well and the frame is not thrashed for $75 you likely got one hell of a deal. The current bucks bags site has them for $500 so how do you think you did. If you can likely get a minor rust issue under control with a wire brush, steel wool, sanding or other pretty simple method so long as it is not rusted through. Primer and paint should cover the rust removed area and you are all set. (Trailing flames paint job on your frame would get you a lot of looks!) Scour the Watercraft sub forum and you'll find a lot of chatter on modifications such as anchor systems. You can likely get some pulleys and line lock and mount them to your frame. I've seen some guys take their anchor rope and route it through narrow diamater PVC pipe (if their frames are not designed for the rope to route inside the frame tubing). This keeps the line out of the way nicely on their boats. There are wheel brackets you can find by using a search engine like google, yahoo or whatever you prefer. There are other threads in Watercraft that will detail how others move their pontoons and prams on the ground to the water. Best of luck, enjoy that boat safely while wearing your personal floatation device.

·
Registered
10 Posts
that is a great deal...
I would get a nice pair of composite oars and a 2 stage hand pump (K-Pumps are nice)
look at machine shops too, there is a place here in portland that charges a flat $60 fee to powder coat steel...
they have cheaper rates if you strip and prep the metal.

just got a rusty bike frame preped and coated for under $50

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.