Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have all of the materials but the plywood. I have lots of carpentry experience and have spent a ton of time reserching all kinds of stuff on building a boat.
T don'tthink it will be that difficult but it would be good to find someone who built one that can tell me any shortcuts or tricks they found in thier toils.
I have wanting to do this for years. NOWS THE TIME!!!

·
Outa here
1,155 Posts
Use good plywood, use good epoxy (I like the system 3 stuff, it's a bit more forgiving temperature wise I think) sharpen your tools, you can't f?!#$ up when you sweep up, start now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm ready. I have a full shop with sharp tools. i was born in a hombuilder household the winter lasts a long time here in northern Pa. this should keep me buisy for a while.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm ready. I have a full shop with sharp tools. i was born in a hombuilder household the winter lasts a long time here in northern Pa. this should keep me buisy for a while.
Randy,

Here's a thought....why not document your build and post it on this forum? It would be a few extra steps for you, but it would be fun to see what you go through to build it. I've seen guys do that on other forums (guitar building comes to mind) and it usually attracts a massive following.

Bob

·
Registered
449 Posts
Use marine grade plywood. Not sure if you will be fiberglassing the plywood but fir plywood will check unless encapsulated in fiberglass/epoxy. Some guys don't mind the checking but I can't stand it. I used okoume plywood on my stitch and glue driftboat....there are some pictures in my gallery of my boat build. You'll also save a boatload of cash buying RAKA epoxies over the system 3 and west system epoxies. I had zero issues with the RAKA stuff and it seems to have a pretty good following in the stitch and glue boatbuilding world.

Josh

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Laid out the ribs (on the back of left over wraping paper) and cut them all out. Going to start assembling them all tomorrow. The stern area dosent seem strong enough. I may beef this up some.
Ill post some pictures when i have enough to make sence.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Built the ribs tonight all but one i made a mistake on one side. I'll cut one tomorrow night. i didn't want to start the saw and create the dust.
I'll post the pictures tomorrow. I went to ohiopyle today to see if i could launch the boat. I can launch at the campground in Confulence However it will be a job to take it out above the falls (40ft drop).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, It's my next step. If i can steel some time tomorrow after the Steelers kill Miami. Hopefully i can build the strongback and mount the ribs. I'll be out of town for work (2 more years) next week and will resume next weekend
Randy

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hello,

I have built several boats, just like what you are talking about! Loads of fun, and very worth it! Mine was 15' overall with a 20 freeboard, and 9 inches of rocker, semi flat center hull(not continuous rocker) Weighed about 260lbs finished.

For plywood and supplies, I very highly recommend Noahs marine, I belive they are in canada. Great prices and cheap shipping.

Use heavy glass on the bottom and lighter on the sides and interior. Four inch tape at stress points, and over scarf joints.

I will see if I can scan pics of mine if you like. Do you have a plan set? Or designing your own?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm back. Thanks for the post I'm building a spira canadian by spira international. It's a 15' long with less rocker than a western style boat. I fish in Michigan and some tailraces in s.w. pa.. Not sure if i am going to be able to use it as much as would be warrented to take on a project like this but i have allways wanted to build a boat. If need be i can give it to a friend who has invited to a wonderful annual trip for years. i will glass the bottom and possibly use a bed liner stuff to limit scufs on the bottom. I would love to see your pictures.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Had to do lots of stuff for the church this weekend. however i have mounted some of the ribs on the strongback. ran down a 2x6 to 1x6 couldent find 3/4 lumber longer than 12 feet. i'll post some pictures later in the week

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.