Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to start wrapping a new rod and could use some advice. This will be only my second rod that I have built. I think I got lucky with the first in that I picked up a Rainshadow 9' 4wt. second and I am quite happy with it. For this new rod I'm looking at something on the order of a 9' or 9'6" 9 wt for steelies. $$ is an issue. I chose the Rainshadow as it was very cheap ($27) and I figured if I screwed up I wasn't out much. Problem is I enjoyed building the first one so much, I'm anxious to start a new one.
I do know that all of this is personal opinion, but at my stage of casting (which is OK, but by no means great) I can deal with most anything. My 7wt is dime store glass from the 70's, so I can cast anything, if not well, at least I don't often hit my head anymore. I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Paladin

·
Registered
36 Posts
hey i have want to start building a rod where did you get your Rainshadow ($27) thanks and good luck with your new rod

"I have not failed. I've just found ten thousand ways that do not work."
-Thomas Edison:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
>hey i have want to start building a rod where did you get
>your Rainshadow ($27) thanks and good luck with your new
>rod
>
>"I have not failed. I've just found ten thousand ways that
>do not work."
>-Thomas Edison:D

I bought it at Gregs in Lake Stevens. It was a second. Brand new are about double that.
Paladin

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
I would go Rainshadow, and check out the XCEL line if you are willing to spend $100 on the blank. I just built one, and I really like it. It cost me $214 total at Greg's for a 9wt XCEL 9' with grip, seat, and guides.

If you want to be truly cheap, then the IM-7 by Rainshadow is fine, but not great for really heavy heads. I have also been recently turned on to http://www.tomaricustomrods.com/ and check out their Tiger Eye rods. There isn't much info on the rods there, but I would guess them to be IM-7's too, as the price is dirt cheap. I am tempted to buy one to try out, just based on the price.

G

·
I HAVE BUILT SEVERAL GRAPHITE FLY RODS AND IF YOUR LOOKING TO SAVE A FEW BUCKS THE CABELA'S BLANKS ARE VERY GOOD AND UNDER $100. THE 'FT' BLANK WHICH IS THE FAST ACTION MODEL RUNS ABOUT $80-$90. IT'S THE MOST EXPENSIVE. IF YOU BUY THE KIT IT WILL RUN YOU ABOUT $140-$150.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked out the Tomari web site. The blacks are certainly inexpensive. I think I want a 3 piece though and they only offer a 2 piece. Certainly at <$40 they would be worth a shot. Ever here of SEA CAY? Someone on ebay is selling that brand. They have a different look sort of like the Tigers Eye. I am leaning towards the Rainshadow, but was interested in some other thoughts. Thanks again.:thumb
Paladin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.