Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Josh Pearson
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally started reading my Fish and Wildlife reg book for this years fishing. Did I read the section right concerning bag limits and catch & release correctly? If I release 5 trout over 14" in one day I have to stop fishing? Is that really correct?

"Trout (except Steelhead) equal to or greater than the minimum size are counted as part of the daily limit whether kept or released"

This is under the gamefish section on page 21. If this is correct, I guess no more big days of releasing a lot of trout, just a small handful.

What else is hiding in these regs?!

cheers

topflight121

G

·
C & R and bag limits, same to Washington

That's friggin' hilarious - we can legally catch and release dozens of fish where the fishery is being preserved, but where there's a catch limit, where fish are more or less being doled out until hatchery support can be called back in, we have to stop??!! That is, as I say, SCREWY. If anything, there should be a limit on fish caught and released on a catch and release fishery, while on planted, keeper waters, it should be catch and release all day. I'm having a real hard time absorbing this into the meaningful recesses of my cortex here... and I don't believe I'll really try to :beathead

:dunno

·
Registered
156 Posts

Rest easy. The full sentence in the rule book states:

"When fishing with bait, all Trout (except Steelhead) equal to or greater than the minimum size are counted as part of the daily limit whether kept or released"

Assuming that you are not a bait fisherman lurking in a fly fishing forum nothing has changed however you should consult with your attorney regarding any questions regarding the regs.

obsessed :professor

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,895 Posts

That's a strange rule, especially considering that it basically unenforcable, unless there is an officer watching the area the whole time someone is fishing with bait.

Wouldn't that also make it more likely for someone to keep any 'legal' fish, even ones that are just over the limit?

G

·
C & R and bag limits, same to W...

Obsessed -
Whew, that's a true relief to hear. I haven't bothered reading the regs and obviously don't have utmost faith in our DFW to bat 1.000.
And what's bait?
:smokin

PS A lawyer... lmao (but so true, like what's the translation on the legality/non-legality of fishing a dropper on a Quality Regulations water?)

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts

I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

All right,After we all get out license's and read our "Regs" we are going to have a test to see if you are qualified to fly fish in our waters.

"In fly only waters you are allowed up to two flies with barbless hooks. In Selective gear water you are allowed up to three flies with barbless hooks"

You can fish all day just as long as you CnR your fish. Unless you are using bait. But if your fly fishing I don't think you use bait

·
previously micro brew
4,663 Posts

A number of years ago,when Roses Lake was a Dec. 1st opener, I did see someone ticketed for catch and release with bait. We were flyfishing and they pointed us out to the officer. He told them we could do it all day. There aren't enough enforcement people out there to get very many rule breakers, just look at the bait containers in the trees at Rattlesnake.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts

I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

I know what you mean. I was reading another site and they were talking of catching and releasing fish and they were fishing with worms. One said that they had caught and released about 18 fish with worms.

They can post "No bait allowed" all over the lakes and streams,but if you get some of these die hard bait boys out there they don't care for the signs and will fish bait anways. You can tell them the rules but some don't care.

Jim

·
Be the guide...
5,190 Posts

That's been the rule for a while. WDFW and many resort owners who stock their lakes have a big problem with fisherman 'grading' (is that the word i'm looking for?? my coffee hasn't kicked in). What they do is soak their power bait and pull in fish after fish - but only keep the big triploids and throw the bleeding 8 to 12 inchers back to die. The resort owners (who paid big bucks to stock several hundred triploids on top of the WDFW planters) get torked off when Bubba comes up to the resort and shows off his cooler full of big fat triploids and explains how they let all the small one's go. "what were you using?" "worms and power bait of course!".....:beathead

I have seen this enforced, but it is definately not easy to do. Peer pressure and education will help quite a bit. Not too many years ago when I fished bait with my little brother I would often realease fish that were hooked right in the lip and didn't realize even that was wrong...

·
Registered
2,860 Posts

Some thoughts on this important topic:
Bait hooked fish. even though released, will for the most part die. The hook gets a hold on the guts and that's just about all it takes.

It's not really a question of enforcement. About 95% of our people or more follow our laws without any policing. It's the remaing 5% that raise hell with the social system.

To state that something is illegal is often enough to protect the resource cheaply. Personally, I don't have a lot of fun fishing when I know I am cheating. So I don't do it. It ruins the experience.

C&R is great and I'm religious about it. But I have always believed that some of those fish that are released wind up dead. So when I hear someone brag that they had a 40 fish day, I cringe a bit because I believe they killed more than their limit and have the balls to brag about it.

Sorting through fish to get out the big ones is a real drag on the fishery. Everybody has done it I suppose at some point in their life. But now that I practise no kill, it just does not matter anymore.

I am confused about all this planted fish business. What to think? I mean these fish are meant to be killed, to be eaten, and to provide "sport." How can I get all high and mighty about these tank jobs? Seems silly. It's wild fish that I get testy about. Plants? Don't know.
Bab :thumb

·
Be the guide...
5,190 Posts

Bob - keep in mind those planters you are referring to include Lake Lenore, Lencie, Dry Falls, Rocky Ford, and many of the 'secret spots' many on this board hold dear.

I think Put and Take lakes have their time and place. It would just be cool to have another 'quality lake' in the king county area...

G

·
C & R and bag limits, same to Washingto...

I think there should definitely be more quality waters to alleviate some rediculous crowding that can and does occur probably more... Some places, every weekend can be like an opening day crowd almost (or exactly). And, hell yeah - a well managed quality lake IN King County (with camping even) would be very nice. But where... And, Snohomish? Pierce? Mason? Thurston?

I don't really consider Rattlesnake a Quality Lake, and there are some decent lakes up on Weyerhauser, but really, the closest lake I'd consider Quality would be... well, there's a few in the 1.5 to 2.0 hour radius for the most part. Not alot in the 45 minute to 1 hour range...

:hmmm

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
C & R and bag limits, same to Washingto...

Chadk-
Trout that carryover for a few years are as good as wild trout to me. I love east side lakes with the bruisers one often finds in them. They must be stocked or be fishless due to no streams coming or going.
It's these little tank jobs that do not carry over that one finds on the west side that bother me. Our peninsula lakes are often just too warm, too shallow, too deviod of any insect life to speak of that fish seldom make it from one year to the next. This seriously compromises the fishery. Pretty much put 'em in today, yank 'em out tomorrow.
Bob:bawling

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.