Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been toying with the idea of getting a new 5wt and the look and weight of this rod caught my attention. It looks like the first fresh thinking on rod design in years. And the weight of a 9' 5wt is truly astounding at 2.6 oz. Any idea who actually makes this rod and what blank they use? This rod is .6 oz lighter than a Sage's vaunted Z-Axis and $425 cheaper.

For a guy like me that is up in his 70's and still sometimes fishes 6-8 hours a day every fraction of an ounce in rod weight makes a difference by the end of the day. This rod looks like it is the lightest on the market.

Has anyone cast one?

Ive

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
They say it's light, but all they did was take the reel seat spacer thing off. I'm sure it's a nice rod, but the reel seat looks a bit gimmicky, and I'm sure a lot of people throw heavy reels on those things anyway. The swing weight is what counts.

·
lunatic trout bum
242 Posts
I've cast them. They actually cast pretty nice. Moderate action. very light weight. The reel seat does look a little odd. but other than that. seem to be ok sticks

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Ive, I have the 4 pc 9' 4 wt L-Tech and I love mine. It is a very well thought-out rod in my opinion, blending a couple types of carbon fiber in the blank.....and that reel seat is no gimmick, it locks down snug and keeps it nice and light. I too appreciate a light stick on days when I'll be casting all day long....I have a really bad shoulder and my wing likes this rod very much. I also have a 5 wt BllX and the actions and weights are similar with the L-tech actuallly being a bit quicker. If you get one, I'd stick with a reel between 3.9 and 4.5 ounces to maintain a nice swing weight and keep everything nice and light. I think it could use a bit bigger stripping guide and the cork is good but not fantastic like Winston or T&T cork but.... that is a small issue.........it fishes like a much more expensive rod. I also have a 9' 3 wt in their LST series and love that rod as well. People used to bash Orvis, now Cabelas gets some of that and it is silly really. They make some nice equipment. I wouldnt' hesitate for a second to pick up another L-tech.

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
I was going to say that no one wants to admit they shop there but now you have a few answers. I was also giong to say I bought the LST 14' spey and am happy with it and how it feels and works. I 've seen the L-tech but didn't pick it up but it looked really good and for that price It's got to be right. I'll certainly try it nest time I'm there.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I'll chime in too. My first rod was a $170+/- 3wt stowaway from Cabelas that I got for my birthday. I used and beat the hell out of it, finally snapping the lowest ferule on a rock snag. While I was driving down to OR for a Bend trip, I decided to try my luck and take the rod into the Cabela's shop in Lacey. No big interrogation- they replaced the rod with a new model. The new model is way better in my opinion. So - for what it's worth - the warranty seems to be at least in the same ball park as Sage.

Disclosure - I also own three sage rods and love them to death. They're much nicer in the finishing touches. But, for the money - the cabelas rods and service are seriously hard to beat. I wouldn't shy away from getting someone a Cabelas rod any day.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I own and love the 6wt 9'. It is light, forgiving and love the looks of it. I cast a rio grand floating and a 6wt outbound intermediate on it. Has lots of power and looking at the 4wt also. I agree with Mingo and his comments. I picked it up on a whim, never tried it just played with it in the store. Once I put a line on it, that was it, I did not need any of my others and sold them. Great rod, neat looking, does not break the bank and casts excellent for my casting style.

William

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Try a redington CT...99.00 bones @ Seattle's outdoor emporium....these things are true and sweet. If you like winston action and sage LL series this is a rod to try. They are all 4 -piece with the 6 pieces being 20-30 more bucks. Very impressive rod (IMHO) and others have shared their pleasure in earlier threads.

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input on the L-tech. With a Cablela's just 2 hours away I'll go down and see if they have one. It sounds like it is exactly what I am looking for-the lightest rod possible. I'm sure the Grey's and Reddington are fine casting rods but both are significantly heavier although less expensive. And in my eyes they have a fatal flaw-they only come in 4 pc. I have several 4 pc rods and if I can avoid it I don't want any more.

Ive

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.