Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I have the 8 wt. in a 13' rod. The Next cast Steelhead finder in 8 wt. is my favorite line on this rod followed by a RIO Iflight Skagit head in 570 grains. I have also thrown a RIO AFS in a 520 that responds very well to this rod.

If I remember correctly, a work associate likes using a 450 grain airflo skagit on the 11' 7 wt. LSI rod. He primarily does a snap T or Perry poke and makes very impressive casts with substantial distance. I've never watched him do T&G casts and I don't remember him saying what type of scandi line he uses.

If I had the 7 wt. LSI rod, I would get the Next Cast Steelhead Finder FI in a 6/7 if you can comfortably cast this length of line. I have an a Reddington CPX in a 7 wt. 11'3" rod that I had Steve Godshall build a custom scandi type line that I've grown to really like...but it took some time for me to learn to handle a longer line.

G

·
Is it an LSI spey rod or the 7wt switch? The 11 ft 7wt switch has been much pickier to get lined correctly for me. That rod I finally settled on an airflo compact switch at 480.

The airflo chart seems to have a discrepancy for the grain weight listed for the 12 6" 7wt spey. It lists a 480 skagit compact for that rod. A 510 skagit compact dials it right in.

Of course all of this is subjective to your casting style, stroke, ect.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I've been running the 480 Airflo skagit compact on mine for awhile and it works great (full disclosure, I'm one of those guys who skagit casts for steelhead about 1-week a year, so if I can make it work well, so can you).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.