Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing that there are no fly shops anywhere near me, I will occasionally buy gear from Cabelas. It seems like everything I order from them however arrives damaged at my doorstep. Granted, Cabelas uses UPS for shipping, and UPS absolutely manhandles packages. I know because I worked for them during X-mas a while back and it was almost comical how violent they were with parcels. I've always gotten an exchange, but the last 4 things I've ordered have been broken.

A year ago it was a wooden net, which they packaged by wrapping the handle in thin cardboard....with nothing around the hoop. Of course it arrives with a broken hoop.

A few weeks ago I ordered some rod building supplies: a guide set, reel seat, and cork handle. The guides and reel seat are pretty much indestructible and were put into separate cardboard boxes with lots of cushy bubble wrap. The handle is the only fragile item and was put into an envelope... so of course it was broken upon arrival. Sent it back, and a week later they send me another handle, again in an f'ing envelope! It was broken completely in half. Before sending it back for a 3rd handle, I called and requested they put in a box. They complied, but told me they were now out of stock :beathead: Hmm... I wonder why.

Sorry to rant, but I needed to vent. This is the last time I will buy anything from them. Anyone have a recommendation for gear online?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hmmmm...I've never had issues with Cabela's and breakage., nor have I with Angler's Workshop, either. However, I would recommend its selection of materials for fly tying and rod building.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Last week, after Dave McCoy (Emerald Waters Anglers) gave the Bellingham fly fishing club a talk on fishing small creeks west of the mountains, I was inspired to order a light weight, short rod. (It helped that I had a $150 gift certificate from Cableas) I found the Cablela PT+ 6'6" 2 wt, complete with reel, backing, and 2 wt WF line for $190. The rod arrived in one day in perfect shape, well packed. It cast great on the lawn for a light noodle of a rod and just the thing to make a 6" trout feel like a much bigger one! I order from Cabelas a lot since we are fly/hunting shop challenged here in B'ham and I have never had to return anything broken or poorly packed-sorry you have had so much trouble! Rick

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
I've never had any problem with Cabelas except quality at times on their materials. Never damaged in shipping. Since they opened the Lacey store I buy on line and pick it up at the store, free shipping, no problems and a chance to brouse the store.

·
Blind hog fisherman
2,895 Posts
I've been shopping from Cabela's since they were operating out of their garage in the early 60's. Never had a problem with any item they shipped in terms of breakage. I suggest you call customer service, ask for a supervisor, tell them your history of problems. Then I would stay away from black cats, don't break any mirrors and don't walk under any ladders. If you spill the salt be sure to throw some over your left (or is it right) shoulder. It seems you might just be unlucky when it comes to Cabela's.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The one good thing I will say about them is they have great customer service. Never had a problem returning anything. The latest fiasco with my building materials had me baffled though. How do they end up putting the metal parts into cushy padded boxes and then sent the one delicate item in an envelope...not once, but twice.

Almost every breakable item they send me gets broken. Well I guess my 3wt a couple years ago wasn't, but it had a PVC tube w a sheath so its pretty tough for them to screw that up.

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
First off. DON'T buy any Lotto tickets. :ray1:

I've ordered things out of Oregon a couple of times. My latest was out of The Fly Fishing Shop out of Welches, Oregon. It was a new Fish Cat Deluxe 4 float tube. What is amazing is I ordered it on a Sunday afternoon via internet and it was on my doorstep at 2 PM on Tuesday!! Amazing.

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
Granted, Cabelas uses UPS for shipping, and UPS absolutely manhandles packages. I know because I worked for them during X-mas a while back and it was almost comical how violent they were with parcels.
Funny, I've worked for the company almost 22 years, and have rarely seen that. Where you a part time unloader? If that's the case, chances are there were other parttime Xmas guys doing same thing. Maybe if you reported it, would've changed things. "manhandling" packages is a termination offense at UPS. I've seen a couple people fired over the years doing it. Working there as a Xmas helper does NOT make you an expert. We're cramming 4 times the volume through our system then it'll allow. So before you go about making yourself an expert by working their one peak, maybe you should try working there longer and you will see another story. I deliver over 400 packages a day on my route, and rarely EVER see a damaged package. Does it happen? Of course it will. But the "comical" handling of packages was probably a few peak hires who toss stuff knowing they aren't getting hired back anyways. I know most of us will report someone tossing packages. If they did nothing, then those supervisors should've been reported to the center manager.

Now, I get ALOT of stuff via UPS (and no, I don't get a discount for shipping through them, just alot of my venders and companies I deal with use UPS as well) and I've yet to see a package delivered on my doorstep that's packaged properly. (insert knocking on wood sound now LOL). I've had a ton of packages sent through Cabela's, yet to have a problem with them on damages.

·
fish-ician
1,474 Posts
No shipping issues with Cabela's. I did not like ordering rod building materials from them though because they came poorly marked, and one reel seat they sent me did not match the one on the website that I thought I ordered. They happily took it back though without questions though. For rod building supplies I would suggest Anglers Workshop as well, or Hook and Hackle.

Wayne

·
Registered
899 Posts
I order most of my rod making supplies from Shoffs, which is still in business as a mail order shop. I've also ordered from Anglers Workshop in Woodland, and Golden Witch in Pennsylvania, which carries a lot of specialized stuff for bamboo rods.

I have nothing against Cabelas or any other mail-order business, but I try to support the local shops. They know a lot more about our local fishing than the folks in Nebraska!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jerry, yes I have only worked there as a temp helper during Christmas when i was in college, so I am by no means an expert. That was just my experience with them. I'm sure due to the Christmas rush things were different than they normally would be, however I did witness some poor package handling in my time there (by permanent employees even). Overall I have had good luck with UPS, just not so much with fragile items.

G

·
Funny, I've worked for the company almost 22 years, and have rarely seen that. Where you a part time unloader? If that's the case, chances are there were other parttime Xmas guys doing same thing. Maybe if you reported it, would've changed things. "manhandling" packages is a termination offense at UPS. I've seen a couple people fired over the years doing it. Working there as a Xmas helper does NOT make you an expert. We're cramming 4 times the volume through our system then it'll allow. So before you go about making yourself an expert by working their one peak, maybe you should try working there longer and you will see another story. I deliver over 400 packages a day on my route, and rarely EVER see a damaged package. Does it happen? Of course it will. But the "comical" handling of packages was probably a few peak hires who toss stuff knowing they aren't getting hired back anyways. I know most of us will report someone tossing packages. If they did nothing, then those supervisors should've been reported to the center manager.

Now, I get ALOT of stuff via UPS (and no, I don't get a discount for shipping through them, just alot of my venders and companies I deal with use UPS as well) and I've yet to see a package delivered on my doorstep that's packaged properly. (insert knocking on wood sound now LOL). I've had a ton of packages sent through Cabela's, yet to have a problem with them on damages.
WTF? I own and run a warehouse on the border, I have for over 20 years...When first starting UPS told us to advise our customers that any box being shipped should be able to handle a 6' drop...i.e. conveyor belts in large sorting hubs etc.
My daily shipment arrives in an oversize truck, I daily have damaged boxes!!! I don't blame the driver, they are stuffing probably 5-6 times the volume through the center then it's designed to handle, The preloader has stuff stacked on stacks so it's inevitable I'm sure...So I can see this happening easily and yes I do consider myself an expert!!! That said, I hardly blame UPS...It's the shippers responsibility to make sure the thing is packaged properly...I'm sure I as you have seen some ridiculous stuff come down the line....Had a 2000$ carbon bike frame arrive in shrink wrap. etc. etc. amazing as some stuff arrives and you have to scratch your head about how the hell it made it...

All this said, I personally ship 99% of my own stuff UPS as they are IMHO the most reliable courier around..Easy to track and easy to deal with when you do have a damaged claim...Fedex ground is by far the worst for damaged goods and being private owners good luck!!! Mine are excellent but have had drivers that were horrible...

Sorry for the ramble..bottom line is Cabella's tends to cheap out on their packaging as they are shipping probably thousands of items a day from various outlets...If it's broken, Oh well their savings on packaging etc. makes up for their damaged goods...and that's how it works with big companies..

·
card shark
2,316 Posts
Plecoptera, I wonder if you or your dog have ever pissed off your local UPS driver? I've never had a problem wth Cabellas or UPS, and I worked one long hot summer at UPS and never saw abuse, although being stuck inside a 120F degree trailer with hundred of boxes shooting at you on a conveyor no doubt triggers some passive-aggressive behavior.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.