Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there ever try Cady this time of year? I may give it a try this week but would appreciate any input on whether it's worthwhile and suggstions on bugs to use. I assume large streamers trolled deep would be the ticket?

Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I fished it last year in the January/February time frame. I trolled mostly Olive Willy's on a type 3 full sink. I had one fish to show for approximatley 4 hours fishing time. Though it was a gorgeous bright pink rainbow, it was extremely listless and offered virtually no fight. I think the water temperatures at Cady are extremely cold in the winter and the fish just don't have much energy.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I fished it several times last year at this time. The method is really quite boring, but it works:

The owner says the primary food source are sculpins. Therefore you take a rams wool head sculpin on sinking line and troll around with it at something like 16 feet of depth. You'll freeze your ass off, but you'll get some fine fish. By the way, its January, and you're supposed to freeze your ass off. There are two springs that the fish congregate around. Ask the owner for more details and he'll point them out for you. He is one hell of a nice guy. Also, bring some money for the donation box. Every time I go there, he checks the box not more than 15 min after I am on the water. Stiffing the owner will probably line you up for a punctured tire and a severe ass-beatin'.

-Sparse

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
(Sir Izaak Walton)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I've stayed at the Manor, which is a real treat, and spent a lot of time talking with Larry, who is a great guy and the last person I'd expect would try to slash tires or thump fishermen--but I agree with the underlying sentiment by Sparse--if you fish it make a donation! Larry buys all fish and stocks it at least twice yearly in the spring at a cost of several thousand $$, and there are some absolute hogs that will strip your backing, and som grea dry action in Spring. I just never have tried it during winter, and, from the posts sounds like floattubing it now is a formula for frostbite.

OK, so if not Cady, where? So many of my usual trout rivers are blown out, which is why I'm considering lakes, but I much prefer running water...any ideas??

Cheers!:beer1

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
The thrill is not in the kill---But to let them go.

Well right now if you prefer running water the safest place would be in your bath tub as most ot the river on the west side of the hump are running high and dirty. Except the Skagit above Rockport. It is clear. But it was pouring when I was up the today. Didn't fish as I was searching for someone but failed to find him.

Jim

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you can stand the very cold temps (think my bladders had ice blocks instead of the norm when I was done) the fishing can be fantastic. I fished it a few times last Jan. and had great success fishing a slow sink line. I trolled slow near the surface with a leech pattern. Caught fish from 16" to 26". Not much of a fight. However, for January it was a few great days of fishing.

Larry is a great guy. Support his great efforts to make the lake fly-only, catch and release and open year round.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I could stand a few hours chilling out, but damn, makes me wish I had a boat. If anyone does and is interested in some company at Cady tomorrow or Sat. let me know--I'll provide the beer (or alternative) of your choice!

360/786-9297

Alan

:beer1

·
Registered
31 Posts
Pardon my ignorance- Where is Cady Lake? It sounds like a great place, and Larry sounds incredibly generous.

I've been trying to figure out where to fish tomorrow, and am inclined to try Cady. Would anyone like to join me? I'll drive and buy the gas.

Jeff

·
previously micro brew
4,662 Posts
You can look up Cady Lake Manor on the web.

Directions: From Belfair. Just past the QFC in Belfair, turn left on Northshore Rd.. Go 3.3 miles, past the state park, and turn right (up the hill) towards Dewatto.
Go 7.3 miles to N.E. Dewatto Rd. Turn right towards Dewatto. Go 1.7 miles. (You'll go past Tee Lake.) You'll see a sign, brick entrance to Cady Lake Manor. Go down the road a little ways. There are two roads to the lake, take the second one, which is a hard left. There is a very small, green lettered sign on a tree to the left.

Good luck. Leave a few bucks for Larry, and say hi to Max.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.