Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
In search of Blinky...
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anywhere to camp nearby Cady Lake? I have a chance to get over that way, but I'd like to make it an overnighter and explore the other lakes in the area. Is there anywhere close that I could camp (besides the $20/night state park? All I need is two trees to hang a hammock from (and not even that if I sleep in the truck). I'd just like an out-of-the-way spot somewhere in that general area of lakes. I've heard that Twin Lakes has a campground/campsite, but it might be closed...

Any info appreciated!

·
Josh S
704 Posts
All the lakes you used to be able to camp at for free near Cady are now closed. I would just stealth camp on one of the many DNR or logging roads in the area. There is also a few roadside sites near the mouth of the Dewato river. Call and talk to Larry at Cady, he might have some ideas for you too.

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
I'm not positive if they still charge for camping at the Port of Dewatto river camp or not. Regardless, it is a 5 minute drive up to the lake from there! Like others said, there are a lot of side roads and DNR land you could probably find a place to pull over and crash.

·
previously micro brew
4,663 Posts
I have spent a lot time in the woods over by Mason Lake, pulling into the side roads on DNR land would not be a suggestion of mine. There are a lot of strange things happening in the wooods in that area, very few of those happenings are good....

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
I have spent a lot time in the woods over by Mason Lake, pulling into the side roads on DNR land would not be a suggestion of mine. There are a lot of strange things happening in the wooods in that area, very few of those happenings are good....
Trust what Micro Brew says. I've seen a lot of strange activity down in that area, some by the lawless who have nothing to lose and some by law enforcement. You would not likely enjoy being in the wrong place at the wrong time in that area. It is not like Detroit, D. C. or Compton, but why put yourself in a place known for weird stuff happening in the woods. And despite Old Man Jim's jest, it is not the boogie man, but still...

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
That is something to think about. I was fishing Cady last year when all of a sudden I heard LARGE caliber machine gun fire nearby (sounded like 30 cal) .... I think some campgrounds were closed in the area because of meth labs.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
That is something to think about. I was fishing Cady last year when all of a sudden I heard LARGE caliber machine gun fire nearby (sounded like 30 cal) .... I think some campgrounds were closed in the area because of meth labs.
Larry, forgive me if I'm mistaken, but you and I were both on the lake that day...with a few others. You did a bit of bug ID for me and I imitated the black caddis flies with a home tied tent wing and finally started getting my hands slimy. There was a lot of gunfire in the too near vicinity for my liking.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Well, as the crow flies, Cady is less than 2 miles from the shooting range at the scout camp. I'd guess that's not what you heard though.

The scouts shoot muzzleloaders, shotgun, and .22 rifles at the ranges. It may see occasional use by staff and other groups in the off season, but no machine guns. :)

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
Well, as the crow flies, Cady is less than 2 miles from the shooting range at the scout camp. I'd guess that's not what you heard though.

The scouts shoot muzzleloaders, shotgun, and .22 rifles at the ranges. It may see occasional use by staff and other groups in the off season, but no machine guns. :)
Trust me. I know what a big caliber machine gun sounds like...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.