Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Left handed Gemini.
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am avoiding the madness of E.Wa. until things calm down alittle I've been going to Cady, the fishing has been ok even though the temps are still on the low side 45 degrees, the fish are waking up and feeding heavily on chrionomids with some pretty fair hatches coming off I saw some adults yesterday that could have been matched on a #16 hook but most were alot smaller, other than the occasional rise primarily from smaller fish ( larry put in a bunch of little ones) most of the fish were going for emergers just under the surface, they really weren't interested in pupae patterns deep or shallow at least none of the colors I tried but when I finally got around to trying a soft hackle the action really picked up with some hard slams from fish in the 15" to 18" range that lasted until I managed to lose the only fly I had in the size/color that the fish were going for.The fly I was useing was tied on a #18 mustad 3906 peacock herl body 1 piece the smallest you can find with a copper rib again the smallest you can find (ipod earplugs have some tiny wire in copper and red sometimes green) you want the body to be thin, for hackle I used a feather from a pheasents head, nice tiny soft hackles in some interesting irridesent colors, I used the lightest greenish colored one just a couple of turns, it almost looks like a tiny cary. I would cast out in the area of feeding fish and just let it sit with the occasional twitch sometimes the fly would sink and sometimes not but it didn't seem to matter all that much to the fish. After I lost my fly I tried some others tied with different hackle same body and even though I could see the fish still feeding and I did catch a couple more, they pretty much weren't all that interested. Last week I did pretty good on the same pattern also, the fish like it.
tony

·
previously micro brew
4,663 Posts
Tony:

Nice report. When you hit the fly, those surface feeding fish can give you some hot action.

How are Larry and Otto doing?

Just a reminder, to those that may be new to the lake, there is a donation box to help offset the cost to Larry. Whether the fishing is good or bad, put a few $'s in the box.

Good luck to ya, Mark.

MB

·
Left handed Gemini.
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the action wasn't as hot today, hardly any hatch I think the wind kept the bugs down this is something I've noticed before, I did catch 5 all on the soft hackle though but 3 were small 12" or less 2 were of a respectable size fine day other than the constant breeze.
tony

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.