Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been to Cady several times and I have never had a great day there. I have had 2 -3 fish days in the past and have been skunked several times as well. I normally Hunt at this time of year with modern firearm and went back to Archery this year. The reason for Archery is so that I can hunt the month of September and have more time on the water to fish the lakes, as the fish are feeding to get ready for the winter, and to fish the miratory fish. I am proud to say that I have finally hit it at the right time to take down my deer, no luck with the elk this year, but I was able to hit the Big Cady Fish....

Flies used: chironomids and nymphs under a float, dry fly with a nymph dropper. All produced smaller fish.
Black, White and Olive wooly buggers, and Olive Leech which killed the big fish.
3 wt rod, floating line, 9 ft leader, 6 ft tippet

3 fish were 5" bobber fishing
1 fish was 14" bobber fish
1 fish at 17" bobber fish
2 fish were 18" bobber fish
1 fish was 21" stripping black wooly
1 fish at 22" white wooly
my 1st fish was 25" on a white wooly
1 fish at 27"
and my largest fish was 29", what a toad!!!!

All on the 3wt rod and I had a blast doing so. I took the pics with my phone and I was not able to get very good pics of most of the fish as I was worried that I was going to lose my Iphone in the water. I was on the water by myself from
10-11 and than another guy showed up and fished till 3pm. I plan on going back out this week to see if I can repeat.

Went back out on Thursday and caught a few more on chironomids and emergers. Still did very well with the olive leech, fish were 18" - 24". Here are a few pics to go with Thursday's trip, enjoy......

·
previously micro brew
4,663 Posts
Remfish:

Cady can be finicky. Looks like you found what they would take on this trip. I haven't hit the 29"er but have been close.

Don't forget to try emergers, I did well with those a bit earlier.

Ya get a chance to talk to Larry?

MB

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of all the times that I have fished Cady, I have only spoke to Larry once. I do make sure that I drop a few dollars in the box! I did see him looking out one of the many windows in the manor as I was landing one of the big fish. I'll be back on the water Thursday with a few emergers to boot.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
I have only fished there a handful of times. My first two were humbling. Seeing very large, 20" to 24" fish come up to your offering, look it over from a lot of angles and disappear back to the depths unimpressed. I fished it one day when DryFlyLarry was around and he picked up on a bug he saw in the air that I had not noticed. He showed me one, and I tied on something as close as I could to match it and it was a lights out day for fish from 14-18" (lights out for me anyway). I've since been there a couple of times and found the fish cruising just sub surface, feeding...no, gorging themselves on the red daphnia. Nothing in my box could replicate these tiny little specks, but a reddish colored caddis emerger, bead body, dark head, touch of floatant worked into the dubbing would hold the slow sinking fly just beneath the surface. Apparently when it is sitting in their feeding zone they are more agreeable to eat it. I have also had a nice day there fishing chironomids deep, no indicator, full sinking line, short leader. Marked my line with a tag of monofilament to mark the bottom and moved up a foot or two to find where they were feeding. They would hit like freight trains. I think it was Klint that taught me this method of chironomid fishing as before I was merely using an indicator and long leader. I wish I lived closer, but ever time I go I'm sure it is worth the time...except when the otters are there. I have some bad luck with otters showing up where I'm fishing and stealing my fish when hooked up. Good luck.

·
Resident fishing dork
314 Posts
Remfish,
Congrats on what sounds like a great day at Cady!
Just curious - knowing how big some of those fish can get, why would you choose to fish a 3 wt? No doubt it would be a blast, but I wonder how those really big fish revived after what had to be a long, drawn out fight.
Kudos on solving the riddle of Cady Lake. I've been humbled there on more than one occassion.

·
Language, its a virus
1,602 Posts
I started fishing Cady back in 1972. Some very big cutties and
of course the planted bows. I bought a house about 15 minutes from
there and fished it alot in the evenings after work. I recall when
Larry puchased the lake and was living in his camper by the launch.
We would pull beers out of the cooler, sit and bs till dark. If you need
a big fish fix it is a peaceful option. Spring is my favorite time there
using size 12 dark green caddis flies casting to risers...just don't use light
tippet. Fished one winter when half the lake was iced over using tiny
red soft hackles on a sinking line with good results.

Dave

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I have been to Cady several times and I have never had a great day there. I have had 2 -3 fish days in the past and have been skunked several times as well. I normally Hunt at this time of year with modern firearm and went back to Archery this year. The reason for Archery is so that I can hunt the month of September and have more time on the water to fish the lakes, as the fish are feeding to get ready for the winter, and to fish the miratory fish. I am proud to say that I have finally hit it at the right time to take down my deer, no luck with the elk this year, but I was able to hit the Big Cady Fish....

Flies used: chironomids and nymphs under a float, dry fly with a nymph dropper. All produced smaller fish.
Black, White and Olive wooly buggers, and Olive Leech which killed the big fish.
3 wt rod, floating line, 9 ft leader, 6 ft tippet

3 fish were 5" bobber fishing
1 fish was 14" bobber fish
1 fish at 17" bobber fish
2 fish were 18" bobber fish
1 fish was 21" stripping black wooly
1 fish at 22" white wooly
my 1st fish was 25" on a white wooly
1 fish at 27"
and my largest fish was 29", what a toad!!!!

All on the 3wt rod and I had a blast doing so. I took the pics with my phone and I was not able to get very good pics of most of the fish as I was worried that I was going to lose my Iphone in the water. I was on the water by myself from
10-11 and than another guy showed up and fished till 3pm. I plan on going back out this week to see if I can repeat.
What does a bobber fish look like. I've caught Rainbows and Cutthroat but never a bobber fish.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Well, I didn't do quite as well today (maybe the bright sun put them down), however the 4 I did catch were strong, health, and nicely colored. 15", 20", 19", and a dink I SDRd. Beautiful day to be on the water.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You suck......I know, you asked if I could go and I couldn't. 8^( That was a sweet day on the water man!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.