Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I hopped in the car around noon today, and made our way out towards Cady. Stopped at the local fly shop for a few things and then was on the road. Got to the water around 1 or so, and there was 5 or 6 boats/tubes around the lake. Went and talked to Larry, who was nice enough to loan us one of his boats. I have a pontoon, but that's no good when wanting to bring my 8 year old. After taking a couple minutes to stress the importance of wearing life jackets to my son, which I thought was wonderful, he got us to our boat and off we went. It was fairly windy, and I figured fishing chironomids or some nymphs under bobbers was probably the best way for the two of us to manage fishing together. Ended up staying on the water till about 6 without a hit, though I did spend a chunk of the time helping my son out. Did see others hooking up, including one guy between the boat launch and the manor who was absolutely slaying them. I heard him say he was using chironomids. Would sure love to learn his secrets. Anyhow, it was a great day on the water. After working long, long hours the last couple weeks it was nice to spend some time with my son. After we got back to the car, we drove down to the boat launch where I gave my son some money to put in the donation box. He asked me why we were sticking money in the box, and I explained to him all that Larry does, and how important it is that we as fisherman help support someone so generous with his own time and money. He really seemed to grasp the concept, and was awfully proud of himself when he dropped the money in the box. More than anything the lesson that a small donation seemed to teach him made the day more successful than any number of fish caught could equal.

Nick

·
Registered
1 Posts
In the spring Cady has a large population of small red nymphs (really tiny) they actually look like small brine shrimp, I'm not sure what they are but it can be tough fishing when they are active ... however I have noticed backswimmers feeding on them so a waterboatman pattern striped just under the surface with short fast strips has been very productive for me .. good luck.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
When that red appearing daphnia is about try using a wine colored caddis, redish beads over bushy dubbing if you have them. Smaller is better, really small is best. Maybe, just maybe it appears like a cluster of the daphnia. Such a fly will sink, work a bit of floatant into it, or on your leader to allow it just enough to get into the surface film. I tried this on a couple of tough days with lots of light and daphnia and found some fun friends willing to flip and fight.

Taxon, is that daphnia in your photo flipping me the bird...great photo of critters, as always.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.