Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a hard time understanding if a centerpin reel is to be used strictly with monofilament line, or if I can spool regular floating fly line onto one(of couse on top of Dacron backing).

Thanks

·
Still fly fishing in the PCW
5,370 Posts
You could do it but it wouldn't work like a center pin is supposed to. Kind of like you could put racing slicks on a big monster truck and go mudding but it wouldn't quiet be the same...

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I'm thinking about my center pin reel here, and I don't think it would have the capacity to handle a fly line of any weight that would match a rod. Besides you don't have any drag on a center pin reel, just the clicker to prevent it from free spooling. I am of the mind use the reel for what it was intended for.

·
Anywhere ~ Anytime
1,613 Posts
Centre Pins are a single action reel, with rim controled spool, many having the option of a check control [pawl] One could certainly function as a fly reel. Most are near 4.5" so the spool is revolving a lot slower than say a 4" diameter reel. sroffe makes a valid point re line capacity, the large arbor style wouldn't hold squat. An Islander Steelheader or similar std arbor would be a neccessity.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
The best way to deal with a center pin is to put it behind your back tire, put the car in reverse and hit the gas. Then crack a beer, light the fire and throw the smashed up POS in.

Of course the other option is to sell it and buy a reel. That's what I would actually do.

Go Sox,
cds

·
Willing to learn anything...
302 Posts
Thanks Shotgunner,
My question was going to be "WTF is a center pin reel?"
After hearing your description I completely agree with MR. Sullivan. I would, however, choose Jack Daniels.

·
Anywhere ~ Anytime
1,613 Posts
Thanks Shotgunner,
After hearing your description I completely agree with MR. Sullivan.
Wow, you fellas are harsh :) What I described is a fly reel other than attatched label. If a guy had a new rod

and no other reel, why not?

Besides..I'd much rather see one spooled with fly line was it anywhere near me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.