Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting a trolling motor for my Old Town Discovery 164. Use will be primarily tidal rivers and sloughs. Interested in what motor people have/recommend and what mounting system you use/recommend. Thanks for the input.

Kent

·
Registered
174 Posts
I say get the most powerful trolling motor your credit card and your canoe will allow. I'm no experienced boater, but the times I had to use them, I always wanted and needed more power. I attached a small 30lbs to my canoe and it was fine but in moving water I don't think that will be enough. The extra power will also help chop through vegetation much easier than a little 30lbs.

I made a ghetto setup using couple 2x4 and some brackets. There are quite a few commercially made mounts these days.

·
123 Posts
I fish primarily out of a 15.5 ' or 18.5' canoe. I use a Minn Kota Traxxis 55 with digital speed control and I've been really pleased with it. It's not rated for salt water but they make a model called Riptide that is. I do use mine in the salt but I thoroughly clean it every time. I mount the motor on the cross bar of the Spring Creek stabilizer float system that I use. It's a rock-solid system that sets up and takes down very fast and easy.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a 30lb Minn Kota Endura and it works pretty good with my 16-foot touring canoe. Any faster would be too unstable and the battery lasts forever. One piece of advice is to rig a long extension cord with quick connects so you can put the battery in the front of the canoe for weight distribution when you are going solo. I had a piece of 5/4" x 6" fir sitting around from a door trim project and built a motor mount. The mount is wide and sturdy enough that I added a few Scotty accessory mounts for rod holders, anchor rig, etc. I angled the extension that ends up being the motor's transom to be somewhat perpendicular to the hull to allow the motor to pivot parallel to the hull. The setup sits on top of the gunwales and a second piece of wood goes under the gunwales and clamps on. It works pretty good. The pictures aren't the greatest, but it gives you an idea what I did.

Water Boat Watercraft Vehicle Naval architecture
Water Boat Watercraft Sky Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 30lb Minn Kota Endura and it works pretty good with my 16-foot touring canoe. Any faster would be too unstable and the battery lasts forever. One piece of advice is to rig a long extension cord with quick connects so you can put the battery in the front of the canoe for weight distribution when you are going solo. I had a piece of 5/4" x 6" fir sitting around from a door trim project and built a motor mount. The mount is wide and sturdy enough that I added a few Scotty accessory mounts for rod holders, anchor rig, etc. I angled the extension that ends up being the motor's transom to be somewhat perpendicular to the hull to allow the motor to pivot parallel to the hull. The setup sits on top of the gunwales and a second piece of wood goes under the gunwales and clamps on. It works pretty good. The pictures aren't the greatest, but it gives you an idea what I did.

View attachment 133538 View attachment 133539
Looks awesome. Something like that should work perfectly.

·
Outa here
1,155 Posts
I've built a couple of mounts, of varying complexity, but in fact you can c-clamp a 2 by 4 across the gunwales near the stern and clamp the motor to that. Call it the "french canadian design"- I first saw it in the eastern townships of Quebec and the north country of Vermont. Keep the battery as close to amidships as possible, or otherwise adjust trim by moving gear. Steer with a paddle. Yes, you'll need your paddle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.