Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother just brought over a carp that he caught in Green Lake. Does anyone have a good recipe that you could recommend? He wants my wife to cook it for him for April Fools Day.

·
Banned
2,051 Posts
My brother just brought over a carp that he caught in Green Lake. Does anyone have a good recipe that you could recommend? He wants my wife to cook it for him for April Fools day.
The traditional way is to dig a hole 4' round and 3' deep. Make sure the bottom is flat. Place a layer of small woodchips in the bottom of the hole and lay the fish flat on top of them. Next cover the fish in a mixture of wet leaves and more woodchips. Then you take a tree, plant it on top of that biatch and forget that you ever thought about eating a carp out of greenlake. :thumb:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The traditional way is to dig a hole 4' round and 3' deep. Make sure the bottom is flat. Place a layer of small woodchips in the bottom of the hole and lay the fish flat on top of them. Next cover the fish in a mixture of wet leaves and more woodchips. Then you take a tree, plant it on top of that biatch and forget that you ever thought about eating a carp out of greenlake. :thumb:
Awesome!

·
Donny, you're out of your element...
4,500 Posts
If it is a grass carp, skinny Greenlake vigilante militia dressed identically in black stretchy pants and sky blue fleece tops with small nike running caps, ponytails coming out the back, are already surrounding your house with fancy 3-wheeled strollers. They will commence an attack of poorly thrown, hot, fancy coffees and no longer fashionable cell-phones. They will fill your orifaces with Trader Joe's 'Pirate Booty" their shrill cries of "Carp Killer" will haunt you...

G

·
12" long X 4" wide X 1/2" thick cedar shake. 1 teaspoon lemon pepper on shake first, one layer of sliced oranges, one layer of chopped onions (or garlic) then the carp fillet. BBQ for 1/2 hr. Peel off the toppings, throw away the fillet and eat the cedar shake. Mmm boy!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I love the humor on this site! Many recipes I can't wait to try (next time i have a dead carp handy!) Did you know that the non-native carp was brought over here as a food fish? It is a very sought after fish among Asian countries, so how about bone it out, mix with bread crumbs, deep fry coated with flour/eggs/panko crumbs and serve with sweet and sour sauce? Rick

·
Registered
446 Posts
I use a similar recipe to oldskool's

10 Tablespoons lemon pepper
1 cup horseradish
10 jaleponos
1 large onion sliced
1 cup of garlic
1 cup of scotch
1 carp

Place carp on 12" long 2x4. Place all ingridents on the carp and pound with a claw hammer for 1/2 an hour. Drink the scotch and then eat the board.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use a similar recipe to oldskool's

10 Tablespoons lemon pepper
1 cup horseradish
10 jaleponos
1 large onion sliced
1 cup of garlic
1 cup of scotch
1 carp

Place carp on 12" long 2x4. Place all ingridents on the carp and pound with a claw hammer for 1/2 an hour. Drink the scotch and then eat the board.
I think that I will drink the scotch before I get started. It will probably help me tolerate everything that came before it in the original message; especially the 1/2 hour of pounding with a claw hammar.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Actually carp for dinner is quite common fare in Asia and Eastern Europe. There's a guy in England that had a show on TV called River Cottage (Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstal)l that used to go around the UK in a Land Rover, living off the land. Since then he's had several spinoff shows. I've seen him cook carp a few times. In a recent show, he got the carp and put it into a clean flowing tank, quarantine style for a week before cooking. The guests he cooked for didn't know it was carp and they seemed to enjoy it. They were very surprised when they were told it was carp.

While most of us wouldn't have the holding tank (he used an old hot water tank) to clear the muddiness from the fish, I do think it may have possibilities especially if you have a lot of carp nearby. There's a couple recipes in his books that I have.

·
Flaccid Member
3,900 Posts
the funny thing is there are signs all around green lake explicitly saying: carp baaaaad eat. trout gooooood eat. yet people still bonk the scaly bastages. they must be good if you see the same people drowning corn on the bottom day in and day out. if it wasnt for the fact i only speak american i might teach them about rubber legs and sight fishing so they would stop asking me for my fish.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I spend a lot of time in Asia and have eaten carp like fish many, many times. I have no idea of the taxonomical classification compared to what is in Green Lake, but the carp like fish that I have eaten is very, very good - as good as any of our sought after game fish.

The carp like fish that I have eaten have all been in high-end restaurants, is served skinned but otherwise whole. It appears to be baked / sauteed in a light garlic / soy sauce. Part of the mystery of eating good carp may be breeding it immediately - I don't know - but it is a guess. It is bony but you pick around it with chop sticks. The area of Asia that I am in is very similar in climate to the mid-Atlantic of the US, and virtually everything is grown in ponds.

Visually they are some ugly, slimy bastards. I would most likely not purposefully go after them, but if I could duplicate my culinary experiences in Asia, I might change my mind.

·
Banned
1,366 Posts
To add to what MartyG said, if you clean the fish first, set it onto a plate, place julienned ginger and scallions inside and on top, then drizzle a couple tablespoons of sesame oil and another couple of soy sauce, then put it into a steamer for a few moments. When it's tender, the skin will peel off easily, and as Marty says, you can pick the flesh off from among the MANY bones.

I also agree that it would be best to let the fish swim in a tank for a while to drain off the muddiness. The Chinese don't, but the fish does have a muddy taste, to Western sensivilities.

·
Physhicist
4,022 Posts
I spend a lot of time in Asia and have eaten carp like fish many, many times. I have no idea of the taxonomical classification compared to what is in Green Lake, but the carp like fish that I have eaten is very, very good - as good as any of our sought after game fish.

The carp like fish that I have eaten have all been in high-end restaurants, is served skinned but otherwise whole. It appears to be baked / sauteed in a light garlic / soy sauce. Part of the mystery of eating good carp may be breeding it immediately - I don't know - but it is a guess. It is bony but you pick around it with chop sticks. The area of Asia that I am in is very similar in climate to the mid-Atlantic of the US, and virtually everything is grown in ponds.

Ya, and folks in other countries eat dog, cat, and kimchi. I guess it's all how it's prepared but I'll pass on all of the above. Monkey brains don't appeal to me either.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.