Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On an upcoming airline trip from Pennsylvania to Montana with a side motor trip to Wash State I intend to use a small carry-on bag that is actually designed for the traveling fly angler.

It has a pair of elastic loops on the top through which a rod case can be secured.

The rod I intend to carry on is a 4pc 5wt which is very short when packed.

Has anyone had any experience with such a carryon in the past year?

Three other rods will be checked luggage. I just want to have one along in the case of lost luggage. I am flying into Bozeman and have to hit the road for Wash St as soon as I get there. If luggage is late it will have to go to Gardiner, Montana to be held at the motel for me. (I know the owners well.) So I am taking at least one rig as a carry-on.

Bob Ballantyne
Pennsylvania

·
SANCHO!
1,692 Posts
Bob, On my last trip cross country they let me take my 4 piece as a carry-on attached to my backpack, but the other 2 piece rod had to go through baggage. I thought that they had lost it on the way back but after about spending ten minutes in line at the lost baggage desk, I noticed the rack for "Odd Shaped" luggage and there it was. So be sure to check that first before wasting time.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Flew back from Silver Creek last weekend with two 5 piece rods and had no trouble, although they looked at me a little weird. I never let my fly rods leave my side if I can help it... The thing you have to worry about is that you cannot carry flies or fly tying materials on the plane, so if you're that worried about your baggage getting lost, ship them ahead of time to the Post Office in Bozeman and pick them up (insured). Good luck!

worldanglr
http://www.worldanglr.com/
http://www.patagonia-expedition.org/

Many men fish their entire lives without ever knowing it is not the fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.