Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to visit some friends that live in Cashmere in mid-July wondering if there are any lakes worth hitting that time of year, or, any rivers streams to cast a line into for the day.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
There are a lot of relatively high elevation, hike-in lakes in that area that should be fishing well at that time. Look at the Alpine Lakes Wilderness area for starters. Streams are a little harder but there are a few. The Icicle and upper Entiat come to mind. You will find small but numerous trout that come pretty readily to the fly, especially if you walk a bit from the main access areas and use a little stealth in your approach. There are others as well, located above anadromous barriers. Be sure to check the regulations.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Fish Lk near Lk Wenatchee is a good trout lake. You can rent a boat at the Cove Resort for a small price or fish from their dock. It's not far (approx. one hr.) from Cashmere.I use to take the kids there fishing and camping. The state stocks alot of trout in the lake and it holds some nice big brown trout. It would make a nice day trip with a high chance of success of catching fish.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Fish Lk near Lk Wenatchee is a good trout lake. You can rent a boat at the Cove Resort for a small price or fish from their dock. It's not far (approx. one hr.) from Cashmere.I use to take the kids there fishing and camping. The state stocks alot of trout in the lake and it holds some nice big brown trout. It would make a nice day trip with a high chance of success of catching fish.
Fish Lake is pretty nice, however, I would have thought the trout bite would be off a bit come mid July but who knows? Maybe the lake is deep enough that it doesn't warm up substantially. I have always fished it earlier in the season.

·
Still fly fishing in the PCW
5,371 Posts
You will be less than an hour from the Upper Yakima river so that is also an option and an hour+ from the Methow which will be easier to wade fish. There are some small drive-to lakes up in the hills above Wenatchee but it 3wt fishing for planted fish with the occasional holdover. If you have a whole day, I'd do the Methow. If you have less, hit one of the more local lakes or streams. However, the Wenatchee and tribs have ESA-listed salmon, steelhead and bill trout so have very restrictive and sometimes confusing regs. Be sure you understand them before fishing any moving water in the area. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

·
that's His Lordship, to you.....
6,159 Posts
Fish lake's a nice place; stupid trout, for the most part, early and late in the day, as usual. Depending on tempratures between now and then, it may be possible to get on the upper Icicle; the Yak's the usual express train with 5Kcfs hurtling down toward the irrigated fields, but a fun float. Mid-July should yield lots of opportunities!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the tips guys, I will do some more research and see what I can find out, the Methow sounds very enticing though :)

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The Methow is just starting to be fishable in mid July. If is is still flowing a little off color (we had low snow fall but a lot of late spring rain, so who knows), the Chewuch (or Twisp) is usually fishing better in the first part of July. I love fishing the Methow, (since I have a place over there!) and it is a river that fishes best from a pontoon. Rick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.