Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometime ago I ask if there was a reel that would allow a line change without rewinding etc. Nobody knew of one. However,I found such a reel, a Cortland POP 1, it is a cassette type in which you simply break the reel apart and install another cassette and off you go.
However, the problem is I can't find a source for spare cassette reels.This is were you are supposed to laugh at me.
So maybe I haven't solved the problem of rewinding...
Just thought I would let you guys know about my find. At least I was excited.
OBoy
tony:)

· Registered
173 Posts
I would recomend the Rocky Mt. Orvis over the Cortland Pop reels. I've owned all three and have had the best luck with the Orvis. The Cortland Pop reels tend to get the fly line caught between the reel and the casset. I don't know why, but I've owned three of them and they all did the same thing. The STH was great, but I like the large arbor on the Orvis the best. You can also buy pre-loaded cassets from Cortland.

· Registered
846 Posts
I have the Orvis rocky mt. large arbor as well. I really like the reel and its been very reliable. However, my issue with the Rocky Mt. is that they're HUGE compared with other large arbors. I originally bought the 5/6 reel, but I exchanged it for the 3/4/5 reel which is a little less bulky.

G

·
IveofIone
I have an Orvis Rocky Mountain and am disappointed in it. The concept is good, the cassettes are affordable but the drag is just hapless. I am constantly resetting it but it always seems to be either on or off, very little sensitivity. The message here seems to be that you get what you pay for but is it too much to ask to just have the drag stay where you set it? Ive

G

·
I went with the old design myself. The LA is huge and I didn't like it at all. The 5/6 holds 4-7 wt with the disc drag, I really like it. I got some extra spools on e-bay for $3 each, one even had backing!

· Tom Van Gelder
33 Posts
I have 3 of the STH version, two IMC2's and one IMC1 the oldest one is going on nine years old. I preferd the IMC over the POP version due to the fact the reel halves screw together.
I have had no problems with my drag as mentioned in one reply.
I have seen the cassettes at GI Joes in the past, don't know if they still carry them.
Tom

· Registered
229 Posts
If you leave the drag set all the time, for a long time, it will take a set. The drag on the low end orvis reels (all batenkill and RM) needs to be backed off after your done fishing, or it will take a set, and become worse until you have little drag at all.

A phone call to orvis would fix your drag, or you could stop by a retailer and they could exhange the reel on the spot.

And really, for $70, you can't expect much of a disk drag.
With proper care, it's a pretty good reel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.