Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a nice little flyfishing movie. I'm a member of Amazon Prime so I can stream the movie for free, and did, but it's worth paying to rent.

Vertebrate Organism Rectangle Bird Font

I like it because it shows "real" flyfishing (other than the fact they use beads and flesh flies more than much else). They don't always catch large trout and they do get hung up on vegetation, snags and themselves. Some days, the river is out of shape and the catch rate sucks. Real flyfishing.

Most folks go to Alaska to fish for salmon but this movie is primarily about trout fishing... and when I say "trout", I mean steelhead sized trout. Around these parts, a 20-inch trout is considered trophy size. Up there, they are fishing for 30-inch trout!!! Catching a 20-inch trout for them is a disappointment. They consider a trophy sized trout as a full 10 inches longer than 20 inches.

Anyway, I like the film and chances are, if you're a rainbow trout fly angler you'll like it too.

·
Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've learned to tune out the music of the "new generation" of fly anglers ... :)

I certainly didn't know that wild rainbow in rivers can and do grow to 30-plus inches! No wonder you never hear much about the trout in Alaska , the locals must be trying to keep the existence of such large rainbow as a secret.

Also, the colors of the large trout they catch are extremely vivid. Beautiful fish.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Agreed, the leopard bows they are catching are simply amazing. I have wanted to go up to AK for years and target trout but haven't taken the time, even with how many friend's couches I have to stay on up there. I'm going to put it on my trip list to fulfill in the next 2-3 years.

·
Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Catching a ton of salmon in Alaska has never interested me.... those beautiful 30-inch trout, however, are a different story... Some of the trout they caught went absolutely bonkers with their jumping.

If you have the opportunity to go to Alaska and target those giant rainbow, you certainly should make it so.

·
Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The only other Prime TV shows I watch is The Man in the Castle (I've watched the entire first season) and Inspector Lewis.... oh, and the New Yorker. I have yet to come across any other flyfishing videos on Amazon's streaming network.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Here's a nice little flyfishing movie. I'm a member of Amazon Prime so I can stream the movie for free, and did, but it's worth paying to rent.

View attachment 127853

I like it because it shows "real" flyfishing (other than the fact they use beads and flesh flies more than much else). They don't always catch large trout and they do get hung up on vegetation, snags and themselves. Some days, the river is out of shape and the catch rate sucks. Real flyfishing.

Most folks go to Alaska to fish for salmon but this movie is primarily about trout fishing... and when I say "trout", I mean steelhead sized trout. Around these parts, a 20-inch trout is considered trophy size. Up there, they are fishing for 30-inch trout!!! Catching a 20-inch trout for them is a disappointment. They consider a trophy sized trout as a full 10 inches longer than 20 inches.

Anyway, I like the film and chances are, if you're a rainbow trout fly angler you'll like it too.
What is a Flesh Fly? I watched him tie it up and it looked like a large streamer with bunny fur. Am I correct and why would that not be considered not "real" fly fishing? I get the bead issue.

·
Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A flesh fly seems mainly popular in Alaska. It's supposed to represent a piece of the decaying carcass of a salmon. So, like an egg pattern, it doesn't represent an aquatic insect or baitfish. Evidently the pattern can be quite effective but who knows if the rainbow actually see the pattern as a piece of decaying salmon? Yeah, the egg bit is much more obvious.

·
Topwater and tying.
520 Posts
Watched Cast Alaska last night. Pretty good!
Out of curiosity I did a search using keyword "fishing". Found a fair number of other fly fishing related TV shows and movies. I'll have to try that another again when it isn't past my bedtime.;)

·
Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd need to be much younger than I am now to drag a large pontoon boat across a frozen tundra for gawd knows how far in freezing weather just to fish an opening in the ice.... It made me cold just watching their efforts ...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.