Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Both great options for big bugs, big fish, distance. The one that matches your casting strone is the one for you. Sorry, but I'd advise you cast them both. You'll either know which is best for you or find both are great rods.

Reactions: Porter

·
LA RAMS are SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!
5,345 Posts
Either the XP or Z-Axis in a 7 or 8 weight will give you all the firepower you'll need. The XP has a more delicate tip section, so treat it well.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Rob I am a fairly proficient caster and do enjoy the XP I was looking for a solid reason not to cough up a chunk of change on a used Z but didn't get one so I bought it . Now I will find out which one I like better . Thank you for the input .

·
Moved to https://pnwflyfish.com
3,286 Posts
I haven't fished an XP so I can't help there, but I do have a Z 697 and it is a great rod. I confess that I wasn't sure how much I liked it at first, but over the years I've really grown to like it. It's a workhorse of a rod and can bring the heat or go delicate (not that you care about that for an 8wt). It has lots of power but plenty of touch too...not just a stiff broomstick. I'm sure you'll be pleased with it.

·
Veðrfölnir
5,391 Posts
I'm with Porter. I throw heavier line sizes to throw bigger bugs. No reason to work harder than you have to.

You can spend all sorts of time and money to figure out some nifty way to throw a sick amount of weight with a lighter rod.

Or..

You can just believe your 10th grade physics teacher.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No I agree that's why I have rods up to 10wt .I was just looking for some input on 8 weight Z and XP because those are the ones that were on the plate for me . Now that I have both I will decide . When I want to throw chickens I grab a 9wt tcx with a 10line .

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.