Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Realistically how much room do you need to form a d loop? I was fishing last weekend in high water and found myself up to the bank with little to no room. I tried to cast a perry poke, snap t, and double spey. The snap t was working the best for me but i was only able to cast damn near parallel to the river for just a small swing. any tips and tricks would be awesome!

·
Huge Member
5,193 Posts
Fist line is tough because it digs in a bit after the snap T. Put it a bit further out and you should be fine.

Anchor further out means less space needed for the D loop. You are forming a D loop behind your anchor, not you.

Keep in mind you lose power the further out in front you put your anchor. Especially with a multi density line. If you feel like you aren't pulling your anchor out then when you throw your snap T down keep your rod tip off the water a bit. This makes your D loop more able to rip your anchor out of the water. Go slow and steady if you do that though, fine line before you put a hook in your hat.

Better explained

·
Registered
8,817 Posts
Arrrrrg.. cack handed? It's called a reverse... :)

The problem with the snap t and the circle cast is that there is no finesse in the anchor with a single or double spey you can land your anchor softly even with crappy heavy lines. The gentler you anchor the less d loop you need to make a cast. Less d loop equals less room needed.

Also consider learning the contrived loop cast.
It's essentially a double spey with a reverse perry poke thrown in on the upstream side.
What this allows you to do is form a good portion of your d loop in front of you instead of behind you.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Agree with Rob, learn how to do the off shoulder poke. It's a fair bit of flailing but it works pretty good once you get used to it.

Having a shorter head also helps a lot. The cast is a little counterintuitive to Skagit casting cause it's more of a touch and go with a bunch of contortions thrown in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.