Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying out a speydicator line. I guess its supposed to allow you to spey cast a nymph rig with a strike indicator. For those that haven't seen a speydicator, it has a very long mending line that allows you to make multiple mends before you reach the running part of the line.
I can't seem to get it to cast much further than 30 ft at best.
My commando line I can cast 70 + feet but have never tried it with a nymph rig.

So, my question for all you indicator folks is.
A. do you only overhead cast or do you use a spey cast like the double spey
B. how far is considered good, or good enough.
C. do you have a strike indicator rig that you think can cast farther than a thingamabob.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated! I have only tried nymphing a few times now, mostly with trout beads.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I am no two-handed nymphing expert, but I think the main issue is getting some kind of anchor without a sink tip. A fly with some bulk might actually cast better for you.

I'm using an 8wt SH Airflo nymphing line on my 6/7wt switch, and it can single/double spey and basic roll cast to about 50 feet. My distance seems to depend on a less aggressive stroke, otherwise the cast just dies.

My setup is 5 feet 25lb Maxima and Airlock bobber - small swivel - 0-2X - fly. Can't wait to play around with this stuff some more.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am no two-handed nymphing expert, but I think the main issue is getting some kind of anchor without a sink tip. A fly with some bulk might actually cast better for you.

I'm using an 8wt SH Airflo nymphing line on my 6/7wt switch, and it can single/double spey and basic roll cast to about 50 feet. My distance seems to depend on a less aggressive stroke, otherwise the cast just dies.

My setup is 5 feet 25lb Maxima and Airlock bobber - small swivel - 0-2X - fly. Can't wait to play around with this stuff some more.
I think my problem is the opposite of yours. I have to much anchor. My bobber sticks to the water like it was nailed down.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I have the same problem with my speydicator line. By the time you sweep and make the cast, your fly has gone deep and a lot of the energy is lost just yanking that stuff back up. I can cast about the same distance, and then I just let it go downstream like a really clunky float rig. I don't use it a whole lot, though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the same problem with my speydicator line. By the time you sweep and make the cast, your fly has gone deep and a lot of the energy is lost just yanking that stuff back up. I can cast about the same distance, and then I just let it go downstream like a really clunky float rig. I don't use it a whole lot, though.
Thats prob good news for me, that i'm not the only one who has trouble with the speydicator. :)

You know, I just came back from testing my fly lines, and this time instead of using my speydicator I used my commando. it was much easier to cast and I really didn't mind the lesser mending performance. I think I will stick with the commando and put the speydicator back in the closet again.
Also wanted to point out, both lines had trouble with casting my rig, so its not just the speydicator thats the problem.
My rig was 12 ft of #10 with 2 10m trout beads equally spaced and one small split shot in between the 2 beads. I tried it with and without the float. not sure yet. :confused:

·
Banned
5,200 Posts
I roll cast
i think this is the answer. you need a cast that keeps the flies on the surface., esp if using split shot. the flies are making the bobber stick, not the bobber itself. if my 4wt single hander with a dry fly line can cast the rig, surely a spey rod with a speydicator can.

also, you need your leader to taper. not just 12 ft of straight 10lb. try 3 feet of 30 (for the indicator), then 3 feet of 20lb floro, then a swivel and 2 feet of 1x to an anchor fly like a stonefly or Egg sucking leech, then off of the eye of that fly go another 3 feet to your bead and hook

·
Registered
8,817 Posts
This is totally not my game but i think you'd be better off throwing spey casts completely out the window.

1. Strip in the line to the head
2. Turn uptream at the angle you want to cast.
3. With the rod still pointed down stream do a slow lift then just do a water load cast upstream.
4. Expecting to be able to unstick an indicator, shot and flies for a long cast might be a bit unrealistic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bought a 7 wt spey indicator line, tried it for a few minutes, wound it back on the rio spool, put it back in the box and cursed myself for buying another line I couldn't use....any takers at half price? I don't know what the designers were thinking but it didn't work for me....
What about the line do you not like?
For me, I would be how short my cast were. I did like the mending, but not enough to justify only casting half as far

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Anybody try the Airflo Bomber line with a switch rod? I just got it but haven't tried it yet. Looks similar to the nymph taper but has a shorter belly and a longer front taper.
Yeah, what's up with this line. I'm interested from a streamer perspective. Very curious as taper looks interesting.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Fly lines and fly rods are designed to cast flies. We've known this for a long time and it remains true to this day. You might be able to cast a small indicator but not a bobber. Funky fly lines designed to make it work DON'T because they can't. If you choose to cast bobbers and split shot with a fly rod you've lost understanding of what fly fishing is.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Fly lines and fly rods are designed to cast flies. We've known this for a long time and it remains true to this day. You might be able to cast a small indicator but not a bobber. Funky fly lines designed to make it work DON'T because they can't. If you choose to cast bobbers and split shot with a fly rod you've lost understanding of what fly fishing is.
Wow, never heard that perspective about bobbers! Guess I'm gonna have to kill myself now.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Yeah, what's up with this line. I'm interested from a streamer perspective. Very curious as taper looks interesting.
So I fished it for about 20 minutes on my Hardy Jet 10667 yesterday. It's similar to their Kelly Galloup Nymph line, but feels a bit heavier. It mends beautifully, throws a bobber reasonable fishing distances (got it to roll out about 50 feet, overhand would go further), and the color isn't too bright.

If I wanted a long-belly streamer line, the KG nymph taper would be my choice. The front taper is half that of the Bomber line. I like it on my 9'6" 6wt for most of my subsurface fishing around here.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I fished it for about 20 minutes on my Hardy Jet 10667 yesterday. It's similar to their Kelly Galloup Nymph line, but feels a bit heavier. It mends beautifully, throws a bobber reasonable fishing distances (got it to roll out about 50 feet, overhand would go further), and the color isn't too bright.

If I wanted a long-belly streamer line, the KG nymph taper would be my choice. The front taper is half that of the Bomber line. I like it on my 9'6" 6wt for most of my subsurface fishing around here.
If im reading the specs correctly its got more than a 40 ft head. What casting style you using?

·
Banned
5,200 Posts
when you feel the need to preach and condescend to others about they way YOU prefer to flyfish or the way THEY prefer to flyfish, then youve lost understanding of what fly fishing is about.

·
Registered
8,817 Posts
when you feel the need to preach and condescend to others about they way YOU prefer to flyfish or the way THEY prefer to flyfish, then youve lost understanding of what fly fishing is about.
Umm no.. fly fishing by definition is ALL about excluding other forms of fishing.
If that's not the case then there would be no Fly at the beginning. Not everything is fly fishing.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.