Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am trying to get out and practice my Spey casting but only have a couple of hours at a shot these days due to job and family obligations. I have lots of access to grass areas but would rather not have to clean the goose and dog crap off of my line every time I practice. Are there any good spots to wade in a foot or so and cast around Lake Union or Lake Washington (Magnusen Park) ? I have seen people at Green Lake but I think they were grass casting. Also I am 5 min away from Golden Gardens in Ballard so that is an option but my overhand casting experience there has been a bit of a fiasco due to the walkers and rock throwers. Anyone practice spey off of Golden Gardens? If so any location suggestions? Meadow Point side?

Thanks,

Thomas

·
Learned skills from George Dickel
483 Posts
Finger piers at Luther Burb park on Mercer Island, Tracy Owen station at N end of lake, or Waverly Park at Kirkland are where I go. Stand and cast perpendicular to the line of the pier. Your backcast usually is a clear area of water behind you.

John dude

·
Fly Guy Eat Pie
460 Posts
Carkeek Beach just north of Golden Gardens. Plenty of room, not too many people, and you might catch a SRC or two :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Greenlake is an excellent place to practice both single and double handed casting.

If north is 12 noon, there is a pier at approximately 10 o'clock. Fly fishers know it as the "casting pier" but I don't know for certain that is an offical name. There are usually targets in the water north of the pier. There is a second smaller and shorter pier north of the casting pier. The casting pier is about fifty to sixty feet long, about four feet off the water and it has a T at the end. It is an excellent place to cast with a single handed rod. The Washington Fly Fishing Club gives casting lessons at the pier for beginners and for intermediate casters starting in early April.

I find the pier too high to be a good place to spey cast. So I put on my waders and enter Greenlake at a point about 50 yards south and west of the casting pier. I wade out 50 feet or so towards a small island. You will be in less than knee deep water. I make up for the fact that there is no moving water by alternating from one type of cast to another. Works great. Because it is not salt water there is no clean up afterwards.

·
Formerly "nextcast"
347 Posts
Greenlake is an excellent place to practice both single and double handed casting.
I'm with Don. Don't be too quick to write Greenlake off. I spend an hour or so there each day in May practicing when the rivers are closed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.