Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Greenlake is an excellent place to practice both single and double handed casting.

If north is 12 noon, there is a pier at approximately 10 o'clock. Fly fishers know it as the "casting pier" but I don't know for certain that is an offical name. There are usually targets in the water north of the pier. There is a second smaller and shorter pier north of the casting pier. The casting pier is about fifty to sixty feet long, about four feet off the water and it has a T at the end. It is an excellent place to cast with a single handed rod. The Washington Fly Fishing Club gives casting lessons at the pier for beginners and for intermediate casters starting in early April.

I find the pier too high to be a good place to spey cast. So I put on my waders and enter Greenlake at a point about 50 yards south and west of the casting pier. I wade out 50 feet or so towards a small island. You will be in less than knee deep water. I make up for the fact that there is no moving water by alternating from one type of cast to another. Works great. Because it is not salt water there is no clean up afterwards.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.