Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Old And In The Way
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting a pair of the Cataract Mini Mag oars in the 2 piece "breakdown" version. Does anyone here have experience with the 2 piece ones? I am particularly interested in how tight the two sections lock together. On the Sawyer oars I have for my pram they have a screw lock thing that when it screws out into the locked position, there is no relative movement between the two sections of the oars.

The Cataract connection is just described as a "metal push button"... I wonder if it is as solid a connection as the Sawyers?

·
Old And In The Way
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I have only found one place that sells what I am looking for, and that is http://www.clavey.com/product_info.php?products_id=970{2}7. I am not pleased that they want $249.95 a set, since the Cataract site price list shows these 6.5' breakdown Mini Mags at $100 each. I haven't been able to find them yet anywhere else though.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
My cataract mini mags are 7.5' two piece and I think the joint is pretty darn solid. At 225# I can do pull ups with them and barely bend the shaft and see no flex in the joint.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
They do make them in one piece for those wishing one less area of concern. I thought that breakdown oars would be better for me for transporting. These things are pretty darn stout. Michael, I'm pretty sure that you should be able to find them for your listed price (unless that price includes rope wraps and oar stops, then it might be right on).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know that the company Sotar, (www.sotar.com) is currently have a sale as listed. (Cheryl is super helpful)

Annual Spring Sale
March 29th - April 10th
9AM TO 5:30PM MON - Sat - Closed Sunday

15% OFF PELICAN BOXES
15% OFF DRY SUITS / SPLASH GEAR
10% OFF PARTNER STOVES
20% OFF ALL N.R.S. PRODUCTS
15% OFF FRAMES, OARS, AND RAFTING ACCESSORIES
15% OFF LIFEJACKETS
40% OFF ALL SOTAR DRY BAGS
30% OFF CLOUD-9 SLEEPING PADS
20% OFF ALL BOAT ORDERS
ADDITIONAL 5% OFF STOCK BOATS (APR 10TH ONLY)

·
Old And In The Way
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought that breakdown oars would be better for me for transporting
I definitely need breakdowns, because I carry my stuff in a Honda Civic 2 door!

Michael, I'm pretty sure that you should be able to find them for your listed price (unless that price includes rope wraps and oar stops, then it might be right on).
That hadn't occurred to me. The ones Clavey sells ARE rope wrapped. I got email from them and they don't have the breakdowns in stock, but they can get them in a week. I *hate* buying stuff that isn't in stock though. But I can't find them elsewhere in spite of a couple hours of googling.

NRS sells Cataract, but not the Mini Magnums. I would love to buy from NRS, they really rock.

·
Old And In The Way
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I decided to go with the Sawyer SST composite oars sold by NRS. They are very similar to the Spring Creek Prams oars I have for my pram, the only difference being that they are all black. The Cataract Mini Magnums were a problem because

1) I couldn't find them anywhere but Clavey, and they don't have them in stock

2) Clavey only sells them wrapped and stopped, which is normally a good thing but I am going to use these on my Outlaw Rampage, which has unconventional "pin-type" oarlocks. With the Cataracts, I would have had to pay $50 for the wrap & stop and then would have had to strip that stuff off to drill the hole for the Outlaw's oarlock pins. Waste of $50.00

3) I get to deal with NRS on the Sawyers, and NRS is the best in the biz

4) I am already familiar with the Sawyers and I know they will do me fine

5) I was able to get the Sawyer SSTs (which are in stock and will ship today) plus a roller rasp tool I have been meaning to buy (for
rolling down glued on D-ring patches), including shipping, for $16.00 less than the Cataracts. Having $8.00 in NRS "Boater's Bucks" helped some too.

I am not implying that I think the SSTs are better than the Mini Magnums, I think they are roughly equivalent designs from two top
notch companies. Just in my case, for my boat, the SSTs look like they will work better.

Thanks for everyones' help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.