Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
That almost looks like lamprey scars, but that the lamprey didnt get through to the flesh only that is got through the scales and then got dislodged and tried again. Don't know though. Freaky lookin'

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Vampires in training, getting some rough practice on the ocean going rainbow trout! If that were a hatchery fish it would have been cool to see what was under those areas. Clearly the scales and skin are breeched, but there seems to be no superficial flesh involvement. It looks like the areas are bulging, maybe something pressing out from the inside.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well actually Mumbles, it was a hatchery fish.....I gave it to my next door neighbor. :eek:

Hey Ryan, I'm guessing you have seen something like this before?

·
Registered
836 Posts
I caught two fish earlier this year with similar shaped scars, but they were deeper. They were lamprey scars in my opinion, but I have never seen the scars just go through the scales and not go deeper into the flesh, so I am not sure. COuld very well be something else.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
with the shiznit floating around our oceans, there is not telling what could have cause those bumps. it appears to cyst-like, a growth from the inside of some sort. Hopefully we dont see anymore...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.