Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Should be OlympiaFarq now...
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Cedar River clean up project is now official. We will be meeting at the Riverbend Clubhouse (17410 Renton-Maple Valley Road, Renton, WA 98058) on May 20, 2017 at 8 am for a quick orientation, then teams will dispatch to six (or more, depending on turn out) locations along the river in between the I-405 and SR-18 bridges. Trash bags, gloves, and some "litter sticks" will be provided by King County, but feel free to bring your own equipment if you so chose. Trash collection will run from 8:30 to 12:30, then we will reconvene at the Riverbend Clubhouse. We may have refreshments or a small barbecue if we get some donations. That part is TBD.

Please let me know if you would like to join. I need to maintain a list of possible volunteers so that the county can bring enough liability release forms. If you have already expressed interest, you don't need to sign up again.

Hope to see a lot of you there!

Steve

435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Giving this a bump. If you plan to be there, please PM me your name and contact info (email and phone). If you don't want to share your email or phone number, that's fine, but please at least include the city or town you live in. That info will help us secure funding for future events (the more people that are interested and the wider geographic area we represent, the more cities, counties, and the state will want to support it).

If anyone wants to help with morning refreshments (coffee and donuts), please raise your hand. I am planning to cover the cost of those items myself, unless I get some help!

Thanks in advance.

Steve

435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had my final meeting with the CRC and King County this morning. Here's the final update on the project:

I'm looking for 3-4 people who know the Cedar well and are willing to act as group leads. We will be covering 7 locations this Saturday and a few of them might be hard to find/give directions to if you don't know the river well. All of the spots are well known/easily accessible, but do not have dedicated parking lots. If you know the section between Cavanaugh Pond and Cedar Grove Road and would be willing to lead a small group of volunteers, please message me. Your duties will be to get your group to the pick up site and make sure your team's trash bags are piled up in the right place for the county to later pick up.

Please note that no one will be allowed to enter the water for any reason. The river is already closed by order of the Sheriff due to new and moving log jams, but the high flows we're expecting make it even more dangerous. Please expect muddy/wet trail conditions but do not plan to enter the water.

Coffee, tea, and donuts will be provided in the morning. I am looking into an informal gathering at the Berliner in Renton afterwards, but part isn't going to be officially sanctioned (in other words, you pay your own tab!). Hope to see many of you there.

Steve

· Registered
1,268 Posts
I'd call it a success.

Turnout was a mix of WFF people and other volunteers that King County rummaged up elsewhere. I counted about 30 people all together. We expected that there would be lots more trash everywhere but still managed a few bags each along with some bigger items such as an old truck fender, carpet scraps, and and a BBQ. 'Got to scout a few new sections of river too.

@SeattleFarq is an awesome organizer; kudos!

· Registered
69 Posts
Thanks Steve for heading this effort. It was nice to scout out some new spots and have a greater impact making my local river cleaner. You put in a lot of time helping to make this a better place to visit and fish and I appreciate it very much. RichardJ

435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to everyone who made it out. I counted about 30 people as well. Keep your ears open for a second cleanup on August 12th that is being organized by a part-time Orvis employee. King County and the Cedar River Council are sponsoring that event as well. I'm getting married that day, so I won't be attending, but I will pass along any information I get.

· Registered
1,268 Posts
Thanks to everyone who made it out. I counted about 30 people as well. Keep your ears open for a second cleanup on August 12th that is being organized by a part-time Orvis employee. King County and the Cedar River Council are sponsoring that event as well. I'm getting married that day, so I won't be attending, but I will pass along any information I get.
I heard rumors that there would be BEER provided for the volunteers following the August event. That should be good for turnout.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.