Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was over at the part right behind henry moses water park just to enjoy the water with some friends. about 5 typical men with the flat bill new era hat in red black and yellow with the P on it, all slinging barb choked hooks with worms on them. coming back up to their picnic area with about 4 20" trout. anger was beyond words.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I dont know the Rules/Regs for that riv, but no amount of anger would keep me from calling my local wdfw officer and letting him know what was going down.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Stefan, thanks for posting this. I just phoned your report in to Officer Jason Capelli. He is on his way. I've run into punks like that too many times to count myself. Given the clueless arrogant nature of many of them, they are probably nearby bragging about their catch and showing off to their friends.

On opening day I caught a guy with a 22" bow on a rope stringer, using powerbait on a spinning rod of course. When I told him what he was facing, he pulled it off and it swam away......probably to die later, but he did let it go.

Enforcement is WAY DOWN this year, from what I have seen, so it is up to all of us to report these scum!

The river needs to move to flyfishing- only TOTAL Catch and Release ASAP. That is the only way to cut down on the poaching. By giving that garbage "other species may be retained" loophole it actually encourages the poachers in my opinion.

Officer Capelli: 425-681-8066

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for phoning that in. It was yesterday evening though. but that stretch off water is really nice and everytime i am there, there is people fishing and it is always obvious it is illegally. I am sure he may catch some people if he is on his way. Thanks for that number i will save it to my phone.

·
Registered
357 Posts
By giving that garbage "other species may be retained" loophole it actually encourages the poachers in my opinion.
[/B]
I agree 100% What the hell type of fish are they gonna "keep" in the Cedar anyway? Pikeminnows?

I bumped into a local poacher one evening a couple weeks ago by the old bridge on the trail near Landsburg. He was in his 40s riding a small bmx bike and had a yellow beefstick spinning rod with plunking gear. It seems like they have their own poaching spots all scoped out. I said hello and he quickly scurried down one of the side trails. By the time I phoned in, the wdfw office was closed so I left a message. No call back yet.

·
Banned
2,051 Posts
The river needs to move to flyfishing- only TOTAL Catch and Release ASAP. That is the only way to cut down on the poaching. By giving that garbage "other species may be retained" loophole it actually encourages the poachers in my opinion.

Officer Capelli: 425-681-8066
It's pretty easy to tell the difference between a stringer of trout and smallmouth. Not sure that will help. There are people who fish single barbless hooks from a spinning rod. I'm one of them. Go shit on your own rights man. Fly fishing only regs are BS. What you tie to the end of your leader is all that makes a difference as far as C&R goes. It's just as easy to release a fish from a spinning rod.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have no problem with spinning rods. i am a bass fisher mainly, so spinning rods are part of my arsenal. I too have fished the cedar with single barbless spoons. but i just prefer fly fishing on it (any river really) and do agree the cedar should be fly fishing only. i say about 1 out of 10 people i see using spinning rods on the cedar are actually FOLLOWING the rules.

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
BJG,

Unfortunately it's a guilt by association situation. It's not fair, but it might be right. If the majority of anglers using spinning gear are fishing illegally, then it could end up shutting the river down for all who use that gear type. If poaching and illegal fishing still get out of hand, it could end up with the river closed to all recreational angling. Not fair, not desirable, but possibly necessary.

Sg

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
It's pretty easy to tell the difference between a stringer of trout and smallmouth. Not sure that will help. There are people who fish single barbless hooks from a spinning rod. I'm one of them. Go shit on your own rights man. Fly fishing only regs are BS. What you tie to the end of your leader is all that makes a difference as far as C&R goes. It's just as easy to release a fish from a spinning rod.
BFG, Salmo is right, and please don't miscontrue my statements as some attempt to "shit on your rights", as you so eloquently stated. The idea is simply to protect the fish. If there are no trout left to catch due to the rampant poaching that is going on, then we all lose. I've seen and reported many poachers on the Cedar over the years. Every single one of them was using spinning gear to commit their crimes. Does that mean all gear fishermen are poachers? Of course not. But the fact remains that gear is the poacher's tool of choicel. That sucks but it is reality. If the law were changed to flyfishing-only, then the mere visual of a spinning-or -baitcasting-rod-carrying person will equate to a poacher and law enforcement and phone-in reporting should be easier by clear definition. I realize a rule change like this would will hit those law-abiding gear fishermen hardest. That is not fair, andn it clearly sucks for those law-abiding gear fishermen who will not or cannot switch to fly tackle. I understand that. But the Cedar, in only a few years, has become a weak shadow of the fishery it was in the first 3 years it was opened back up. Poaching has had a major impact on fish stocks. There was a time when I carried a mesh release net around my waist when I fished the Cedar. I never carry it now. The giant trout of yore are gone, fried over a poacher's stove just like the 4 twenty inch specimens Stefan saw get yarded out on nightcrawlers.

Sure, you and I can tell the difference between a smallmouth and a trout (and there are very few smallies in the river), but by including a non-salmonid-kill-fishery loophole it is too easy for a poacher to plead ignorance and claim "those are not trout, those are whitefish, it okay to keep whitefish". That is exactly the story I heard when I witnessed a family with a bucket full of 5-8" trout two years ago. They knew very well the fish they were killing were trout. They obviously wanted to keep them to eat. But they had carefully rehearsed their bullshit lie when challenged and then pulled the "we don't understand english" trick when I persisted in showing them their fish were trout and were illegal to retain. That line was also well rehearsed.

There are also plenty of locals who consider it "their" river and kill every trout they catch. They fish illegally with bait. They are proud of that fact. I've met quite a few of these characters while flyfishing. They are downright cocky and brazen in their outlook and are not shy about telling you stories like "I've lived on this river all my life, I keep every trout I catch, hell I caught some steelhead this winter and killed every one, I kill sockeye too, Fuck the game wardens, they can kiss my ass!" I've heard different versions of that story far too many times. It makes me want to puke. Some of them are somewhat friendly, telling me about "the giant trout they caught under that log" or "that big goddamn bastard I pulled out on a 'crawler, caught 'im right behind that big rock over there"........ad nauseum.

These toolboxes are NOT LYING. They DO kill every trout they catch, and the river and our fishery in going into the proverbial toilet because of these law-breakers.

If the trout are all gone, we all lose. Big time.

·
Joe Streamer
4,156 Posts
I agree that fly vs spin/casting tackle is a red herring distinction. The real way to make an impact on fish survivability is to require single barbless hooks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mingo has a great point. I think they need to put up signs in places where there are a lot of people in warm weather. ones that read something like "CATCH AND RELEASE TROUT, SINGLE BARBLESS HOOKS NO BAIT" something like that so maybe other people in the park will notice and report if they see poaching going on. i also think they need a lot more wardens on that river.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I think they need to put up signs in places where there are a lot of people in warm weather. ones that read something like "CATCH AND RELEASE TROUT, SINGLE BARBLESS HOOKS NO BAIT" something like that so maybe other people in the park will notice and report if they see poaching going on.
Good idea, now that I think of it, none of the Cedar River access sites that I've been to have any type of "catch and release only (trout)" signs posted. If the state doesn't do it, maybe we can make some signs like Don did a while ago for puget sound SRCs, but for the Cedar.
http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com...(sea-run)-Cutthroat?highlight=cutthroat+signs

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Does the Ceder have the "anti-snagging" rule? If not, implement that...right there; anyone plunking is poaching. I'm assuming that is the method most of this folks are using.
no, actually the vast majority of the Legion Of Poachers raping the Cedar engage in "active' poaching using a bobber and worms or eggs. Some sly dogs use legal Special Reg single barbless dick nites or rooster tails, but keep the fish. The Cedar isn't really conducive to plunking, it moves too fast and there are not many big holes a lazy ass plunker-poacher would like.

The poaching goes on year round. Some of the white trash poachers I've met (and tried to convert to obeying the law) say their favorite poaching season is fall. ENORMOUS Lake Washington bows and cutts follow the sockeye and slurp their eggs from Sept-Nov.

Imagine this. IF the WDFW woiuld make it flyfishing only from June through Nov 31, we could enjoy Alaska-type fishing for big trout eating eggs and flesh. Right in our backyards. Do you think the local fly shops would get some business and the WDFW might sell a few licenses? Well, that is exactly the type of Alaska-style fishing the POACHERS enjoy every single fucking year! Right under our noses...........makes me sick.

·
Ugly member
736 Posts
Ah I see...I've never fished or been on the Ceder, but was just going off of what I usually see elsewhere. Just thought that it might be an effective way to illegalize a set of gear that is easy to spot, without screwing everyone else in the ass.

·
Registered
186 Posts
So nightcrawlers is the trick to catch 20" trout on the Cedar? I was out there all day today and caught 1 12" cutthroat and 2 10-12" rainbows. There were a large amount of what appeared to be stonefly nymphs all along the bank. I was able to do some scouting today for holes. This season I have been able to scout out the river from a mile north of Maplewood Golf Course to the park in renton and from Landsburg to 4 miles down river. I still have yet to find a monster trout in any of the holes there. Anyone have any insight on some other holes I might be missing out on? I know I am going to get the standard answer of go out and explore. I have actually done quite a bit this year but don't have the $$ to buy felt soled wading boots and I know if I keep walking around in my Nikes I am going to take a pretty good spill. Actually, I should say another pretty good spill. So if you have any insight please private message me.

·
Tom Van Gelder
35 Posts
Just something to think about. The fact someone is using a fly-rod does not mean they are using barbless hooks. Odds are higher they are, but I have seen a lot of people who forgot to crimp the barb. I agree with one of the eairler posts if you see someone using "illegal gear "turn them in.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.