Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Should be OlympiaFarq now...
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks. Sorry for the long delay on this. The first wave of letters finally went out today. I'm targeting government officials and state agency reps at the moment. I think my next step will be to reach out to fly clubs and shops to see if I can get some added lobbying muscle. In case you're interested, here's the text from the letter I sent out:

To Whom It May Concern:

As you may know, the Cedar River is a unique "urban" river that offers visitors a convenient oasis of outdoor recreation as it winds through a number of well-developed areas of King County. In addition to swimming, tubing, and wildlife viewing, the Cedar River provides convenient sport fishing opportunities during its short summer fishing season. As an avid fly fisherman and Renton resident, I am one of many people who look forward to the summer months when I can fish for trout just minutes from my front door. However, that convenience means the Cedar sees a lot of fishing pressure and not all anglers abide by the selective gear rules that are in place for that river. I hope you will be able to help me combat this problem by advocating for installing signs along the river that clearly explain the fishing regulations to the public.

Illegal fishing seems to be a pervasive problem on the Cedar. I often find empty bait containers along the banks and in trash cans at popular access points. Few seem to make much effort to hide their activities. For example, I recently met an angler on the river who readily admitted to catching 20-30 trout in two hours using worms. I was surprised when he freely admitted to using bait without being asked. I imagine he either thought he was doing nothing wrong, or that there was virtually no chance he would be caught and cited. (A few days later, I found a dead rainbow trout with a hook and baitworm embedded in its gills in the same pool he had been fishing. That discovery is what prompted me to write this letter.) Not all illegal anglers admit to using bait so freely, but when I do mention the rules they almost always plead ignorance. I am sure many of those individuals actually know better, but it is possible that some of them do not. Washington's fishing regulations are notoriously complicated and some people may simply see other people fishing the river and assume it is open to all methods.

To combat the ignorance problem, I would like to see signs posted along the river that clearly explain the fishing regulations in place. To my knowledge, no such signage presently exists. Signs will help to educate the public as to what forms of fishing are permitted and may discourage some people who would otherwise claim ignorance to justify their actions. The signs will need to be durable so that they can withstand inevitable vandalism and large or numerous enough to be seen by most river users.

Other states have found signage to be a worthwhile endeavor. When I proposed the signage idea to other fly anglers, a few individuals pointed me to examples from their home states. Below are two examples from Idaho and Colorado:

Example 1: Northern Idaho

[Image clipped]

Example 2: Colorado:

[Image clipped]

I understand that no amount of signage or threat of punishment will stop all poachers and gear violators. However, if signs can make even a small difference by making the regulations more visible, installing them would be worth it. The Cedar River is a valuable resource to our community but, unfortunately, it is as fragile as it is beautiful. We should do all we can to protect it for future generations.

I have been in touch with a number of anglers, fly shops, and fishing organizations who are interested in assisting with this project. Whether it be fundraising, providing public input, or assisting with placing the signs, I am confident that the local fishing community will be willing and eager to help accomplish this goal.

I look forward to hearing from you about your own ideas on how we can move this project forward, as well as what challenges you foresee that could hold it back. Please feel free to contact me via the phone number or email address at the top of this letter. Thank you in advance for taking the time to consider my suggestions.

Sincerely,

Stephen J. Farquhar, Jr.

·
Premium Member
2,409 Posts

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
The trouble with poachers is that they will no matter how many signs are out there.

There was a sign on BSC that said you could wade upstream from this one spot. Just as long as you stayed below the high water mark. It didn't last very long as a week later it was gone. I think it was installed by MFWP.

I also signed your sheet.

·
bushwhacker
426 Posts
Great idea. Maybe include a photo from the Yakima as well? There's similar signs on that river at some access points, and state officials tend to be more responsive to examples from within our state than from other states.

I assume you're sending this to WDFW's District 4 leadership (Telephone (425) 775-1311, [email protected], [email protected], 425-775-1311 Ext 118), Washington DNR leadership, King County Parks Dept, relevant city leaders and local legislators? Those would be the effective targets since land and water management is mixed along this river.

Anyone know any TU clubs or chapters that might help fund this? Or could be a great way for a shop like Orvis Bellevue to help a good conservation cause and get their logo on signs on a local river (hint, hint). The state would likely be more inclined to do this if someone else footed the bill.

Poachers will still poach. But some are simply uninformed or never bother to read the rules, and enforcement is easier with such signs present.

·
Should be OlympiaFarq now...
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great idea. Maybe include a photo from the Yakima as well?
I didn't know there were signs on the Yakima. If you have a photo (or will be out there sometime soon and can snap one), I'd love to use it as an example. If similar efforts have succeeded in other parts of the state, that gives me hope we can succeed on the Cedar.

As for recipients, I sent one of the letters to Aaron Bosworth, the district fish biologist (he replied this morning) at the suggestion of someone here. I also have them out to the two state reps, my senator, Renton City Council, a representative from the Cedar River Council and a few others. I'm targeting government officials and others who might be able to authorize the project, then we can worry about crowd fundings, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,409 Posts
Sign design, (actual layout and language) should be next.

Location selection will need to be approved by multiple agencies.

Pricing from different shops.
Then a go fund me campaign.

Probably need to get some extras as vandalism should be anticipater5

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,895 Posts
Sign design, (actual layout and language) should be next.

Location selection will need to be approved by multiple agencies.

Pricing from different shops.
Then a go fund me campaign.

Probably need to get some extras as vandalism should be anticipater5
Post them up high, so vandalism is tougher for the ass-hats.. the main thing though is to post them, so they can't claim ignorance when they do get caught. Multiple language signs would be a good idea too!

Reactions: shotgunner

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,853 Posts
Nice letter and I hope you can get this accomplished.
The only advice I'd recommend is to not lean to heavily on fly fishing language on anything you send.
The folks that receive it may be fisherpersons, but maybe not with fly gear.

The Cedar as you mentioned is a selective fishery and there are surely those that utilize it within the rules that aren't using fly gear.
You don't want to alienate those folks or make it seem your ultimate goal may be to turn the Cedar in to fly only water.
You want those folks as your allies working toward a common goal.
SF

·
previously micro brew
4,663 Posts
Poachers apparently can't read. Munn is well signed yet there are people that still set up at the ramp and fish bait. Poachers don't give a s---.

Look at the multi language signs in eastern wa, like dusty. Apparently, they are not written in poacherese. Enforcement and HEAVY fines would certainly help. How about $2k cash. You have to make it hurt.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Signed. I don't expect it to solve anything but seems like a cheap way to a least take a small dent. Poachers may not care but I think people do pay attention to them. Not everyone is so flippant about rules- just ignorant of them.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.