Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ugly member
736 Posts
I saw a woman and her man drowning some worms up at Hazel today. I stopped off to look around on my way back from scouting for bear. The usual conversation took place:

Me: "You know that this river is fly-fishing only?"

Mr. & Mrs Poacher: "nope, din't know that"

Me: "that's funny, you are standing right next to the sign that says something about that this river has been fly-fishing only for about the last 40 to 50 years"

Mr & Mrs Poacher: "Oh... this is our first time here..."

Me: "You guys don't look like the usual needle dicks from Seattle, so that is bullshit. I can tell your local, so you should know the rules."

Mr & Mrs Poacher: Well this our first time fishing this spot, so we didn't know that those rules applied here too...we have "the book of rules" with us."

Me: "Well I just wanted to thank you personally for helping to destroy this fishery...don't worry I'm to lazy to call the Wardens, not to mention they are useless and won't show up anyways, so you guys have a nice day now."

Mr & Mrs Poacher: ...confused looks...

Me: ...walks away...

G

·
Me: "Well I just wanted to thank you personally for helping to destroy this fishery...don't worry I'm to lazy to call the Wardens, not to mention they are useless and won't show up anyways, so you guys have a nice day now."

Me: ...walks away...
I don't get it.....is this a joke? No wonder your streams are in bad shape. I give a good fishing report on a stream (by name) over here and get railed for it - justifiably so, I might add.

You might as well just given them another dozen worms while you were at it. :beathead:

·
Ugly member
736 Posts
Dude...relax. Even if I reported the incedent, it is highly unlikly that a warden would have even bothered to show up (they rarely do around here), if he/she did actualy show up the poachers would have been gone by the time he/she got there. Look man WDFW just dosn't care about these rivers. I have yet to see a warden on the Suak or the Skagit (I've never seen one on any of those two rivers) and I've only seen one twice on the NF. Would you rather I took the more popular aproach of yelling and screaming just to show how big I felt my dick was?

G

·
First off, sorry if I came across sounding like a dick. I guess I'm more pissed off that people will actually break the law inspite of a sign, someone telling them or what have you. Sorry that I took it out on you. :beathead:

No trent, I don't believe yelling accomplishes anything except pissing people off. And in today's world that might just get you hurt or dead. What I do is something like this:

Me: Hi there, how's fishing?

Them: __________ !

Me: Is that your rig up there by the road?

Them: Yep.

Me: Did you know that fishing the way you are is illegal?

Them: ( I really don't care what their response is.)

Me: Well, I don't mean to ruin your day, come across as a jerk or anything like that, but I've been fishing here for a long time and people who fish it illegally ruin it for guys like me. Not only that but the fine for getting caught is quite hefty. Just felt like I should let you know.

There has only been one time that did not work, as far as getting them to leave. The other time the guy stayed there and got busted. Some D-bag that claimed he couldn't speak english until the officer said "You're under arrest." Funny, he understood that just fine...and started speaking english just fine after that.- D-bag.

Anyway, sorry again for venting my frustration on you. However, try a different approach next time and you might get a better response. And for what it's worth, still make that call. You never know, they may have just ran out of donuts and need to get off their butts anyway. :p

·
Banned
82 Posts
i wonder if obama, has cut into fish & game depts. across the country especially in the river rich pacific northwest? Maybe we should contact Interior sec. Salazar. Not sure what all the talk is about him working with DU on a duck stamp but it could lead to some emarrasment but then what obama says, goes I suppose until we can clean out congress and the white house in 2 yrs.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
i wonder if obama, has cut into fish & game depts. across the country especially in the river rich pacific northwest? Maybe we should contact Interior sec. Salazar. Not sure what all the talk is about him working with DU on a duck stamp but it could lead to some emarrasment but then what obama says, goes I suppose until we can clean out congress and the white house in 2 yrs.
WTF?

·
Switch Rod Samurai
2,956 Posts
there are definitely WDFW personell up there. Don't be a chicken shit and report their asses. Licnse plate, descripton etc.
I have AT&T and get full bars at Hzel, you have no excuse. If it makes you that mad, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
I called in 3 different people last week up there between Hazel and Cicero.
Many times they are lower in the river by big rock, but sometimes they actually show up promptly. It can't hurt to call it in

·
AKA Beadhead
493 Posts
i did not realize Obama worked for the Washington STATE Department of Fish and Wildlife? -The enforcement agency in charge of protecting Washington STATE waters.
***Sorry- Political discussion OFF***

TO REPORT POACHING

From the WDFW Website:
To report Poaching in progress call 9-1-1
(I'd insist on a call back. If a WDFW agent is not available to respond, ask for state trooper to go investigate)

GENERAL INFORMATION AND ONLINE REPORTS
http://wdfw.wa.gov/enforcement/reporting_violations.html
If you would like you can still report this incident online, it will help enforcement agents prioritize their locations for the future. Yes they are spread thin, but they are very professional people and they take their jobs very seriously.

·
Ugly member
736 Posts
ChrisW:

The state troopers won't do anything unless they personaly are familiar with the law. Most cops won't get invloved because they aren't familiar with the particulars of the laws that apply to Fish & Wildlife. Last humpy season I was fishing around the mouth of Pilchuck creek, there was a fellow there plunking sand shrimp (no bait allowed). Up in the parking lot was to Snohmish County Deputies running a revinue trap, these two did have jurisdiction to enforce the law there. I gave them a copy of the reg book and even pointed out what the fellow was violating, they didn't do a damn thing.

Instance # 2: I was putting my boat in at lake howard (by Martha) about two years ago. Well there just happened to be a Warden there, but she was taking a nap on our dime. She was still crashed out even when I was done fishing and took my boat out, none of the racket I made stired her from her nap.

My unwillingness to even bother reporting these things comes from my own experiance in the past.

On another note: How or what does Obama have anything to do with a thread about drowning worms? They are having a sale on tin-foil at the Doller store.

·
FUBAR
971 Posts
There is a small lake in my area that is clearly posted fly fishing only, C & R, this lake is a bit hard to find if you do not know about it because it is off the beaten patch in the woods. I visit this lake only once or twice a season because as I said it small and will only hold up to so much pressure.

Anyway a few nights back I took a trip out to see how it was holding up and found the same thing as many of you, there were worm containers all over the place, people just don't give a F**k as long as they don't get busted. I did report my findings and can only hope the WDFW is able to catch some of these asshats.

And WTF! does Obama have to do with it????

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.