Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Banned
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting into center pinning for steelhead. I notice that a lot of center pin rods are 13 foot. Can you get away using a switch rod or a spey rod that is less length? I am looking at the Sheffield Drii reel with a drag. Any advice on equiptment? Thanks

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
What type of line due you guys use on centerpin reels for steelhead?
@Evan Burck uses a spey rod for center pinning as that is what he prefers. I use a G loomis glx 11'3 center pin rod that is excellent because it is the only cp rod I have found that is not a complete noodle and is a fast action. It has handle a few steelhead already too very nicely. I also got the Okuma Raw II reel and switched out the bearings to abec 7s. As far as line that the majority uses is Suffix 832 braid from 40 to 60 lb as I have witnessed. I use 50 lb braid. Careful though what you are getting yourself into. Center pinning is the heroine of the steelheading world.

·
Hot Carl
8,805 Posts
@Evan Burck uses a spey rod for center pinning as that is what he prefers. I use a G loomis glx 11'3 center pin rod that is excellent because it is the only cp rod I have found that is not a complete noodle and is a fast action. It has handle a few steelhead already too very nicely. I also got the Okuma Raw II reel and switched out the bearings to abec 7s. As far as line that the majority uses is Suffix 832 braid from 40 to 60 lb as I have witnessed. I use 50 lb braid. Careful though what you are getting yourself into. Center pinning is the heroine of the steelheading world.
That's what I was doing (taping the reel way up the top cork handle), but due to my current employment situation, switched to the Echo PIN rod since it's built on a spey blank.

·
Josh
639 Posts
The Pin Rod is fun, its a blast to catch fish on. Most of the Center Pin rods available in the states that I have seen are total noodles. I think that I have lost fish on the hook set because of this.

The Pin rods the guys use in BC are much stouter and tend to be around 11 feet long. That's what I would recommend if you are going to get one.

I like my Bait caster more, mostly because of the retrieve speed. I can free drift floats about the same as the pin rod as well as cast spoons and bottom bounce.

·
Hot Carl
8,805 Posts
The Pin Rod is fun, its a blast to catch fish on. Most of the Center Pin rods available in the states that I have seen are total noodles. I think that I have lost fish on the hook set because of this.

The Pin rods the guys use in BC are much stouter and tend to be around 11 feet long. That's what I would recommend if you are going to get one.

I like my Bait caster more, mostly because of the retrieve speed. I can free drift floats about the same as the pin rod as well as cast spoons and bottom bounce.
Werd, dawg. Yeah, the USA models tend to be for Great Lakes fisheries, and they're whippy pieces of crap. As far as baitcasters, they definitely do about the same thing as far as the drift (almost), I do think the pin reel does a better job of getting a drag-free drift, but it's minimal. I just think there's a fun factor on the pin rod that takes it over the top for me.

·
Registered
8,817 Posts
Or, maybe, you can have both? Pin for bobbers, and baitcaster for spoons. That's my preferred quiver.
I fished bobber and jig a couple years before it got real popular. Unless it's really brushy I still prefer a baitcaster.
For other presentations I don't like bobbers. I do not buy into the idea of a natural presentation I buy into a slow presentation therefore I prefer drift fishing.

Now there is a certain coolness factor to center pins. I just think that casting reels are superior fishing tools in most instances. But to each their own.

·
Coast to Coast
792 Posts
I use rods shorter than 13 feet with my pins and they work fine. I have a lamiglas model that is a bit over 11' that I like a lot. I also have a 13 footer that is nice to use at times too. Raven makes some nice gear IMO that is entry level priced. I started with a Raven Matrix reel that I still use sometimes today and its been solid for me. The only issue I've had is losing the tension control knob on it into the river twice due to loosening it too much (my error) and it was replaced both times by Raven free of charge. I've since "moved up" to an Islander, but have no qualms about using the Matrix.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.