Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Allen Fly Fishing
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals, I'm on my last stage of prototyping on my centerpin reel. However, I have some questions that i would like some input. What type of reel DIA would be good? I've seen some of the reels on the market that are way to huge. When you open up the reel do you prefer the guts to be simple to work on and maintain.

Also, what reels on the market are you using now.

thanks everyone

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Uh oh, another centerpin rod/reel question... I'm still chewing on the last one which I believe is now up to 276 pages and counting :D

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Isn't the center pin the one right up front? Take the big ball with three holes, chuck it down there and hit that one first. The rest should follow. (just kidding...but I had to)

·
Registered
350 Posts
For small stream and small fish a 4" to a 4 1/2" and a 5" for large rivers and large fish. 4 1/2" are the most used and common found. Keep them simple, the more the porting the lighter it will be, but the more sand and grit will effect the reels. Make sure the clicker engage lever or button is simple to use. Good look and send some photos.
Jake

·
Registered
593 Posts
Existing reel diameter may seem huge to you but not to those of us who use pins. The current size allows us to retrieve line at a reasonable rate. Making a smaller diameter reel would slow down the retrieve and make more work out the retrieve than necessary. Simple is always better. If I wanted complex I'd use a baitcaster. The MAIN thing is it has to spin right at startup and keep spinning until I manually stop it. I have tried Okuma and Ross but neither rang my bell. I fish with a pair of old school Islanders and am very happy with them. I also had a very nice Milner but I slipped and fell on it and bent it. One of these days I'll get it fixed.
Are you planning to build your reels with bushings or bearings?

·
Registered
350 Posts
I hope bearings, Wolverine sorry about your Milner. Nice reels don't deserve to be slammed on rocks. Thats the nice thing about Islanders, they can take a beating and still keep on spinning.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Uh oh, another centerpin rod/reel question... I'm still chewing on the last one which I believe is now up to 276 pages and counting :D
Well, only 10 pages and 136 replies .... but close to 4900 'views.':thumb: Bye the bye had the rod/reel out on the water for the first time yesterday. Talk about a total fiasco!bawling:bawling::hmmm:

·
In search of Blinky...
197 Posts
Maybe there should be a sub-forum for 'other fishing methods.' I personally fish floats and jigs for steelhead in small rivers that don't lend themselves well to fly fishing. My jigs mostly look exactly like my flies (usually tie one to copy the other). I like to mix it up a bit and sometimes carry 2 rods. Centerpin fishing is pretty close to nymphing with an indicator. Sure the casting is different but requires quite a bit of skill and practice. It just seems that those who mention fishing other than fly fishing are cast in shame on this site. I think it's great to spread the ethics/mindset of fly fishing to other types of fishing. I certainly have...:beer2:

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Hey guys and gals, I'm on my last stage of prototyping on my centerpin reel. However, I have some questions that i would like some input. What type of reel DIA would be good? I've seen some of the reels on the market that are way to huge. When you open up the reel do you prefer the guts to be simple to work on and maintain.

Also, what reels on the market are you using now.

thanks everyone
Another thought on where to get the info you need: Steelheader.net is a great PNW web board and the vast majority of the posters are 'gear chuckers' rather than 'fluff chuckers.'

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
Allenflyfishing,

Asking fly fishermen about centerpin reels seems counter-intuitive. Why do you post your questions here?

Wannafish,

A sub-forum for "other fishing methods" on a fly fishing forum? Why? There are already forums dedicated to other fishing methods.

This thread should be flagged as NFFR. Or deleted.

Sg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.