Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a week in central Oregon. For anyone headed to that area in the near future I would strongly suggest you consider the Crooked River as part of your fishing itinerary. I know it's difficult not to spend all your fishing time on the Deschutes when you're down there but I think you'll be in for a pleasant surprise. The Crooked is all walk and wade fishing with a road running right along large portions of the river.

Despite the fact it snowed while we were down there, the fishing was awesome. They ranged in size from 10 to 17 inches (most were between 12 and 14 inches). If we brought less than 25 to hand for the day, we considered the fishing to be just fair. BWO's (sizes 18 - 20), assorted nymphs (Red Copper Johns, Lightning Bugs and Prince Nymphs)sizes 12 through 18 and even some size 6 streamers (black Wooley Buggers and Zonkers)all produced.

The folks at the Sunriver Fly Shop said the fishing should stay this good for the next 2 -3 weeks.

OH! I forgot to mention....Saw only 6 other anglers over the course of 3 days on the river. And the scenery was awesome to boot.

NOTE: Fishing on the Deschutes wasn't too bad either just that the Crooked was much better than I expected.

Tight lines!
Hope this helps any of you going in that direction if you're not sure where to fish.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you need any info, the fly shop at Sunriver was super helpful. The guy at the shop gave me the kind of tips and directions that you usually have to pay a guide to get so I was obligated to buy a few flies, some tippet, etc. even though I didn't need them.

Can't remember his name but I've got the guy's card somewhere in my gear and I can try and find it to send it to you via e-mail if you want.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
The crooked is a great river. Glad you had a good trip.

Were you there on a weekend? I have heard that it was getting pounded on the weekend but that may have just been during the spring break week.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I love the area down around Bend! Seems like a flyfisherman's paradise. Has anybody had any luck in the Fall River? Beautiful stream, but challenging with all the clear water. How about the Metolius? I haven't made that trip, but I've heard good things about it.

I had a good afternoon on the Crooked a couple of years ago with scuds.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Wow! I think I'll be on my way come Friday and stay as long as I care to haul in fish, maybe forever, dunno.
I've got a dozen size 20 BWO and gobs of 18's etc. After a few fish released, I goin' for the 20-20 club. Be sure I'll let every know if I make it. Thanks a ton.
My B-day is tomorrow and my wife got me an Orvis Barstock IV Battenkill. Wow! How did she know? She paid a bundle, almost 2 bills what with fees, shipping, handling, tips, licenses, tariffs, duties, taxes, bribes, and special favors costs. But I now own it and it will go on my six weight, Orvis Battenkill fly rod (special dry fly action). An all Battenkill Orvis outfit! Now if I can just find a good spot on the Battenkill, I can... I have an Orvis vest and hat, so you can call me Mr. O. if you like. My truck is red and charcoal and I'll be the 6ft. fat guy (230lbs.), age 66', with a gray mustache and a stupid look on my face. If anyone else is there, be sure to say hello. I'd like to meet everyone on this board some day.
Bob Lawless
Man, does that hurt to say 66 or what?:bawling

Problems already: just told wife I'd be out of here on Friday. Can't, no kitchen pass for me. Doctor on Friday.
Daughter's and my birthday celebration on Sunday, the whole family, leg of lamb, big dinner, set in stone, no way out. But come early Monday, watch me motor south, ever south. Will spill all when I get back.:beer2
Now I find out I have a carving class that I paid big bucks to take and it's on Tuesday. Shultz. No fishin' till Wed.:bawling

G

·
Sounds like a good trip. I worked on the Merwin Ranch (Next to Les Schwabs) when I was a teenager and caught some huge smallies out of the Crooked. It dries up quick so enjoy it while you can!

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

Well Bob,you could still be young enough work and then you wouldn't have any time for all of those things you have planned. Going fishing when ever you want to,go to the Doctor,take carving classes,being the Orvis man. And you cry at 66 :bawling . Give your self a few years and then you can cry at 68 like me.:bawling :bawling.

After reading this thread it got me wondering,who is the oldest on this web site.:dunno

Jim

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Might be you, Jim. Feel lucky that you can still fish. You could be hanging out in a box, dudes do at our age. But I've known guys in their eighties who fish all the time. Hope that we are going to do that with ease.
Bob:thumb

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was there last week and fished the Crooked on Tuesday-Thursday. No people to speak of but I guess the week before I went, when the temps were in the 70's it was busier because of Oregon's spring break.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.