Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
John or "LC"
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I brought in two recently, $7 each shipped from China. I bought them only for practice casting, and wanted bright orange so I could watch the line carefully, and as I practice in the street more often than not I don't want to worry about trashing a good line.

At first I thought they were textured. There were very rough feeling. I put a magnifying glass to them and concluded the coating was left unfinished without any slick finish coating.

They cast almost as well as a good line, distance is fine which surprised me with the lack of slick coating, it's a little harder to carry an extended line for some reason. Put them to the pool test and they float fairly well, not sure how long that would last. Mine did come with factory loops, not that we'd trust them.

I suppose if I wanted to fish for bass a couple of times a year and didn't want to spend money on a good bass line I'd use one oversized, cut the front taper back almost to the head, and it would be fine.

One caveat--if you buy an unboxed/no spool line from someone representing it as new and branded, and it feels rough, you probably got had. It's already happened to me once. I didn't realize what it was until I brought these lines in and the feel was identical. Like most small goods shipped direct from China without U.S. enhancements, they are commodities, use the same manufacturing machinery, and one is as good or bad as the other so it's all price driven.

Have you tried them, and if so, would you use them for fishing?

·
John or "LC"
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think all the manufacturers have their strong points. I fish mostly sinking lines in stillwater, and the SA triple density lines are just money, nothing touches them. I don't know if they're selling though--SA marketing is just terrible--no one can understand what those lines are without asking them. For light floaters 2-4 I love the Wulff TT lines, 5 and 6 Rio Gold, beyond that and into heavy salt I have the SA textured lines for floaters and really like those. For clear intermediates, there is AirFlo and then everyone else. hands down the best as they don't coil and shoot beautifully.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
I paid 12 bucks for a 4 wtf floating line about 4 years ago or so. One of my better lines for summer fishing. I just give a few pulls off the reel and have at it. No coils from being on the reel over the winter. Factory loops that just keep on working. I bought it new in the box.

·
Banned
1,626 Posts
Has anyone tried the cheaper lines the MFC sells?

·
John or "LC"
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@LCnSac, by no line coating when line inspected under magnification, does this mean your casting core only?

Mono or braided core fly line?
No it was coated, looks like any other floating line to the naked eye, just rough. The U.S. manufacturers all have a proprietary finish they use to make their lines slick. Braided core I'm sure, no indication it's mono.

·
John or "LC"
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kuddo's for trying lines, and posting online. Curious to hear how you like or dislike inexpensive lines as time goes on.
I don't know that I'll have much of an opinion as I don't plan to fish them. I would, but I have everything I need in the quality that works. I have no problem spending money on lines as I think they're the most important part of our rigs, especially in subsurface stillwater. The only cheap line I use is the AirFlo clear intermediate. It's perfect and under $25.

·
John or "LC"
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Street casting these lines should indicate durability. I considered a full sink for towing flies around in lakes.
You should have at least a clear intermediate and a deep sinking density compensated line for lakes. Floaters always bring the fly up. Handy for some insect imitations but not for baitfish, dragons, scuds, leeches, etc. The AirFlo is the best choice for the intermediate, and either an SA triple density or Rio Deep 5 or 6 line for the other. Both are fine lines, density compensation is well done. The old SA Uniform Sinks are not uniform at all, but I've caught more fish on my Type II US than any other because that's all I had for years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.