Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see Marado reels for sale on the internet, seems like a lot of features for the price. Too good to be true (as usual)? Anyone have any experience with Marado?
What about Okuma Magnitude or Integrity and G. Loomis Adventure? I'm looking to buy a 8wt reel, but don't have a lot of money. I have an Okuma Sierra for my 5wt, and while it seems to perform well, the design has already presented a little problem (the lip of the spool was bent in after a drop, had to bend it back out again in order to get full revolutions again), so I'm not sure I want another Sierra.
All thoughts appreciated.
Ian

UPDATE: Ok, after looking around and reading everyone's generous responses I THINK I've come to a decision of sorts. Looks like any reel with palming capability is going to have the spool lip bending problem, so I guess I'll just have to be more careful!
Secondly I think I'm down to Okuma Integrity or a Pflueger Supreme. Any thoughts on the Supreme?

Thanks again folks.

·
My name is Mark Oberg
1,523 Posts
I saw some of those marado's on ebay for 8.50 each. I have looked at them. they are aluminem dual pawl drag. oversized, looks like a 7/8/9
But i do like the okuma inegrity better. look on ebay!.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
My Scientific Angler System 2L reel took a spill to the pavement (with my rod...ouch!) when I forgot it atop my truck and started driving, and, outside of the scratches, it still works great. It's a workhorse. You can get one pretty cheap at SportCo.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am on my second OKUMA I-8/9 Integrety. I used it for Steelehad and Salmon on Both Washington Rivers and the East Coast Salmon River and they perform very well. They are good. I would also suggest the Tioga reel in the Large Arbor sizes and they are also great but more like twice the cost of the Okuma. Check with Dennis Dickson and his son Mike on this site about the TIOGA Reels. You can't go wrong with either one.
Bob Studen
New York :DUNNO

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would stay away from any product from Marado. Working in a fishing shop I get to see what products come back broken. Marado is by far the the number one product returned for defects. This is for both their rods and reels.

As for the Okuma I use the Integrty 10/11 on my spey rod. I'm pretty happy with it. It has a great price, is very smooth. I have had only one problem. I recently purchased a spare spool for a Teen T400 shooting head. The screw holding the handle on must not have been tightened fully. I had a large steelhead make a fast run when I palmed the reel the handle flew off. I landed the fish using the counter weight knob. (bruised finger tips everytime the fish ran)

My orignal spool has had no problems at all.

I plan one getting addtional okumas for my 9wt and 5wt

There is only one mpossible design flaw I have seen. The drap can be finicky. Mine works great but I have heard that some people have had problems. I would advise picking up the reel at a store where you can pick it up and check the drag before you purchase. Pick up any spare spools from Ebay.

Bottom line I think the Okuma is the best reel for the price dela out there.
I plan one getting addtional okumas for my 9wt and 5wt

PS the magnatude is simply an integrity with a different finish and slithly higher price.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I have picked up several brand new Redington rs2 7/8 wt large arbor reels from a guy in texas for 45.00 each. So far I love my reels. They are a bit heavier but for the price I did not care. I have not noticed the weight while fishing and it balanced my reedington 8wt rod beautifully (100.00 bucks on ebay brand new, retail of 280.00). I have had no problems and at that price I picked up several for spare spools and reels. :THUMBSUP

~Patrick

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ian,
I own nothing but Okuma reels for F/F'ing, not to mention a spinnig and saltwater level winder (5 total). I just don't think you can buy a better reel for the money. I have not had any problems with any of them either. The 2 5/6 Sierra reels have gotten constant use over the last 5-6 years too. The 8/9 I bought last year, haven't used it that much but is very smooth. The braking system they use is like the disk brakes on your car. Extra spools are very inexpensive and they have them at Outdoor Emporium, like $8 or so. You should probably replace your spool that got bent. Anyway I'm a believer in their products.
Jim J.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you want a cheaper (price) reel that does a good job, check out the scientific angler concept large arbor reels. I have had one for a few years and I have no complaints. They are between 50-70 bucks, and a spare spool is 25. Of course it is not the nicest reel on the market, but it does the job, has a great drag (almost too strong on the 5wt)and since it is mostly a composite material, corrosion is not an issue, even if you fish the salt.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Where did you get your large arbor Sci. Angler reel? At that price, and being familiar with the SA quality, I'd really like to know.

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
I also like my Okuma reels. I have nothing but Sierras in the 4/5 and 7/8 sizes. I clean mine off pretty well after salt water, as I am noticing some corrosion on the spools from the salt. I also like to grease up the arbor with bicycle grease, so that I can protect the bearings from corrosion.

Down side is that the spools are a little small. With gel-spun backing on my 7/8 I can get an Air-Flo Multitip line with 150 yards of backing, without the gel-spun, its 100 yards of backing with my floating tip maxing out the spools so that my leader loop knot bonks the crossmembers.

Spools are not $8 at OE, but $18. I just priced one the other day, and ended up buying a spare reel instead.

Rob
---------
Genetic pollution damages wild
stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!

·
Patrick
1,805 Posts
I would also like to know were you got that SA reel for that price. I bought one at the West Seattle fly club sale at the begining of this summer for $50 myself but it was a demo model. I would love to get another one or two in that price range of the SA. Its been a very good smooth reel for me.

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
Ian, the spools on my more expensive reels bend just as esasily after being bounced on a hard surface. Where you save money is sometimes elusive in our game. I had a closet box full of cheap reels over the years.I gave them all away to conservation raffels over the last two years or so. I learned that it is better to save money and buy a very solid good reel that will last years, maybe my lifetime, than it is to save money buying a cheap reel that will fail. I have tried them all and have settled with the Ross line of reels. For your rod you might consider the Big Game reel in the Canyon line or the newer Ross Evolution Reel, which is their state-of-the-art reel right now. I know they seem expensive but when you consider they will service it in 24 hours, though you probably wont need it done, and that they will last your lifetime- that's a good deal. I go for the value for the money. Cheap reels have little value for the money and in the end you will have a cheap old broken reel and will still need a reel after spending the money you thought you were saving. So, I spent a little on cheap reels and got screwed. That means the better reels ended up costing even more, as far as reel expenses went. So buy the best you can now and you won't be disappointed.I buy Ross reels.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Rob, don't get defensive about this, because I'm not trying to put you on the spot, but when was the last time you caught a decent-sized fish on an Okuma Sierra, one that would truly test its drag? I believe you have professed here that you just recently caught your first steelhead in years.

I'm not trying to bag on you, specifically, but it's difficult to really endorse a product that heartily unless it's really been tested.

The Okuma Sierra is an inexpensive reel, and not built durably or to last a long time. It's just not. It works pretty well for light use. However, I know those who have used them heavily (and that doesn't mean abuse them), and they will eventually fail.

The Magnitude is a much better reel, but now you're jumping into a much more competitive price point, one where there are more and better options available.

The much, much better choice is to get on eBay and buy a Tioga 8. An anodized Type II finish, as opposed to a painted on finish like the Okuma has; it has a far superior drag; and, it's a machined reel, so it's much more durable. The Tioga is what many guides use now; when I was at Christmas Island, it was the reel used on the loaner rods. They just keep on tickin'. :THUMBSUP

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
I am in consensus on some. Okuma's are still relatively new, and unless you catch alot of fish on it (and big ones) I'd say the jury would still be out a bit. I haven't used them, so won't bag on them completely. But the one's I've held fealt almost too flimsy for my taste.

I will WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree that the old pflueger's (USA made) are some of the best reels in the price range. I sold off all the one's I had since I could afford better reels. But they never failed in all the fish I caught on them. Plain, simple, and took abuse.

I currently use older LP's (spey and 3.5) and older SA's 7/8's. Never had a problem (even with brakes on the older SA's) nor the LP's. Have caught alot of fish on both (really beat the crap out of the LP this year on big steelhead and really big salmon). Never had either fail. But I keep them well maintained. Only SA's I've seen fail so far were newer one's, and those were from guys who get done fishing and simply throw reel in reel sack and put it away. Luckily, I bought all my reels used (some were like new when I bought them and only a year or so old to boot) and bought substantially cheaper. I think I only paid about $100 for my LP7 and $110 for my LP3.5 w/spare spool and lines. Have served me well on my rods. My LP3.5 landed a nice 20# silver fresh from salt on my RPL+896. Rod and reel held up fine, and that silver tried to spool me. I also landed a few kings fresh from salt on the LP in the 40# range. Never had a problem.

I guess, you can't go wrong with price of the Okuma. If money is truly a problem, then go for it. But I agree, you get what you pay for. Rarely do you buy a brand new reel that is of real high quality without putting out the price. Machining, design, assembly is expensive when you have a quality job done. But I won't go as far as buying a high end Abel. I have heard they are excellent reels, and bought one once for a hellacious deal w/rod (but turned around and sold package to help pay college expenses way back when) but would never buy one. If I had tons of money, maybe, but there's a range I won't exceed. You gotta think, a fly reel is a pretty simple machine overall. Even with some of the nicer braking systems. They want as much, if not more then some of the fancier complex baitcasters/spinning reels. And rods, same thing. Of course engineering is a factor, but they are mandreled just like baitcasters, tested like baitcasters, and components are almost the same (if not cheaper since snake eyes are cheaper then fuji eyes). Just a huge markup. Crazy. Especially since I know one of the guys who formatted the original (and some of the current) graphite formula's and the mandraling process for rods. He said there isn't much difference. Even the high end rods don't dictate the high end prices.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.