Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
The free one is a great deal. If not get the cheep one at Cabelas that comes with all the tools in a wooden box. Its the cheapest way I know to get started. And even if you move on to a nicer vice you will still have all the tools
If you for sure can't dump a 300$ bucks into tying gear right now...then these kits are insanely cheap for the amount of stuff you get. Tools get expensive very quickly. They are worth it FOR SURE, but you'd might spend 50$ alone on just scissors, bobbin, whip finish and one other. I love my fancy vise and its worth every dime...but with a little more patience and attention I could tie nearly everything (besides real small or real big) on a cheapo kit vise and did for years.

The silver lining is that the cheap kit will also serve you as your "travel kit" after you get real into it later and buy new, better stuff for home. You'll want to get a nice pair of scissors though, the ones from the kits aren't great and you'll immediately appreciate better ones...they aren't that expensive either. FWIW, you aren't going to save money on tying your own stuff for the most part. You will be able to tie lots of stuff you can't really buy at the store though...it pays to have some super secret custom ties.

www.flyfishfood.com is a great blog and place to buy stuff. Cheech is a great dude and very nice and very helpful. You can just email Curtis or him and they'll help you out. The stuff they tie can really open your eyes to some new ideas and their tying video tutorials are second to none. I'll still try to buy all my materials local but there is a bunch of neat stuff out there they many shops don't carry.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.