Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

my name is Joe and I'm fairly new to fly fishing;

I live in Cheney, WA and I've fished Amber lake a few times. Landed two 17-inch rainbows on a green leech pattern that I dragged across the bottom- my first experiences catching trout on a fly rod, it was incredible!

Anyone have tips for Amber Lake?

I've been thinking about heading to Fish Lake too and going after the tigers and brookies, any advice?

Thanks,

a fly fishing noob

·
Banned
5,200 Posts
fish lake has a large damsel fly population. find the underwater spring locations by probing the depths with a thermometer or find an online topo of the lake. dragonfly nypmhs, large black leeches, and other large attractors may take one of the larger tiger trout. also, dont forget about the spokane river.

·
Skunk Happens
1,015 Posts
I don't do the lake thing much, but check out West Medical. North Silver was supposed to be coming back, but may just be a mud hole. It has access issues, or at least it did a few years ago so you need a float tube or something.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone,

yeah I bought myself a nice little Caddis float tube, waders and fins, that's how I do me fishin'. I've also heard incredible things about Crab Creek, but no Idea how to get there.

Just went to Swede's Fly Shop on Ash in Spokane, what an awesome little store- got me a bunch of leeches. Heading out somewhere this week!

·
Formerly known as "capmblade"
602 Posts
Joe,

Amber is known for its chironomid fishing. This is a style of fly fishing that is not easy to master. It requires a lot of knots, some different casting timing and the stigma of watching a bobber in the water. However, I personally find it to be extremely effective and I've learned to live with the stigma.

My tips on chironomid fishing:

1. thingamabobbers
2. Always fish two flies. the bottom fly should be smaller.
3. Don't just let the rig 'sit' in the water; if nothing is happening, twitch it in as a slow retrieve.
4. Use 3x and 4x.

YMMV

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.