Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The chum run appears to continue strong but the tribe started netting very recently; 5 boats out in the inlet working nets this morning (11/23.) Appears the number of fish reaching the creek was significantly lower this morning than any day over the past several weeks. If you're planning to hit Chico, do it soon. Incoming tide a few hours before peak high with something green or chartreuse remains the magic combo.

·
Registered
728 Posts
thursday evening we and a fellow marabou jig throwin mutha at the culvert right above the fish ladder at the trail head at dusk was a 25 inch 6 or 7 lb cutthroat being harrassed by the bucks. state record lives in dyes inlet, cant believe it. have vowed to never fish for chums in combat conditions with a fly rod since last year now throw a 1/4 oz jig by itslf on a spinning rod after almost being wacked in the head and seeing the fly next to my eyes on varouis occasions by people just casting and not looking behind them.

all them netters blocking the whole bay almost with nets is crazy, never seen that ever before there. Ben

saltwater flyfishing in the northwest is a science as well as an art

·
Registered
66 Posts
Those nets are so unbelievably long, stretching across alsmost the whole inlet. I wonder what they do to the seals.

But still there is a lots of chum making it to the Chico creek. Went there this morning and got a chance to fight a couple of good fish.

·
Registered
728 Posts
before the nets last week I counted 5 sea lions at once, and some harbor seals around but since the nets I counted 1 sea lion around immediately after the nets and 0 harbor seals and my instincts have told that far in a inlet that far they were caught by nets and all I can say is YA!

:TONGUE

I have got to give props for chico chum flyers for being the majority there. never have seen so many in my life. since I was the jig thrower I can only praise them not join them.

·
Registered
728 Posts
that sea lion will haunt me for the rest of my days. knowing it can happen at any given time. but hopefully there seal by catch cleaned them out since the area close to it was where it happened. I love those things

:TONGUE

·
Registered
804 Posts
Hey Rockfish -
was that you out Monday tossing that jig on the north side of the creek flats in the afternoon- were you the one that told me the cutthroat story? I looked at the cars for the WWF sticker...did not see any!

Hit only 2 fish Monday - they liked the weighted alskabou fly - lots of silver flash and green marabou...but the fishing was SLOW!!!!

I hear ya on the battle zone fly fishing, had this other fly fisher move from beside me to right behind me (think he's know better).... :DUNNO The gear guys seemed to know the backcast gig well. I appreciated fishing next to many of them.

Tried a new spot in Quilcene, but the tide was too high this morning to get out to where the fish were in the salt.

Jim W

·
Registered
728 Posts
throwin a jig talkin about the state record cuttie under the culvert. had to be me. did I I have a fish by the tail the whole time? carr inlet is getting good right now. should be smokin in a week or 10 days or after a good rain. caught over 20 in 2 hours yesterday with the 1/4 oz jig. but there still isnt that many in the creek. other people were having problems south of the bridge. tucked under trees. north of the bridge in front of hatchery is like the kids pond at the sportsman show. key penninsulas finest.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi, I have seen a person with the blue stripping basket. That could have been you, Jim. I was the only other guy with the stripping basket (black) across the creek bed from you.

I have never tried fishing near key peninsula, but heard that it is a good place to fish, especially for SRCs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is that place muddy? Can I bring kids to run around on the shore somewhere close?

Chico run was still pretty strong last Saturday. But I think it is getting pretty stinky around there at this point. The run has been going on for a while.

·
Registered
728 Posts
hey minter is real hot right now, with this rain were getting its probly one dark cloud thru the hole creek, and half your fish still got brightness to them, caught 2 yesterday as bright as a coho and one the day before that. I would have to say that this is one of the best creeks I have seen this year for bright fish.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.