Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there have a good leader recipe for a long (15-20') chironomid leader that they might be willing to share? I've done searches, but have not found recipes over 12 ft. Alternatively, if you don't tie your own, what do people generally use for long chironomid leaders? Thanks in advance,
Tato

·
Registered
306 Posts
All I have ever done is start with a 12 foot tapered leader and added whatever length of tippet needed to get to the right depth. Since I have a corky and toothpick bobber on it to control depth, distance in casting is of no concern. :beer2

G

·
IveofIone
There are probably a variety of opinions on this and mine is just one of many. At any rate, I would stay away from using a long tapered leader as a basis. You are probably not going to be able to cast a 20' leader any way. So if you use a very short tapered section-just enough to make the transition from the fly line to the tippet diameter-you will have a leader that sinks much faster than a long tapered one. I use a 12' leader that looks like this: 6" of .021 for the butt, 6".017, 6".012, 6' of 4X and the rest 5X or 6X. This keeps your first knot about 5' away from the fly and allows you to change tippet diameter using a modest amount of material. I keep it on a dedicated spool nail knotted to the fly line so there are no loops to deal with. Ive

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
If it's absolutely calm with like no wind, then maybe I can pitch a leader of 15 ft. But it's annoying as hell because when I fail, everything falls into a ball and I'm out of action.
I attach a big butt section and then hang my regular tapered leader on the end.
I've been thinking about a clear line which would certainly seem to help, but I'm not sure. I am convinced that fish are spooked by a line overhead in clear water.:thumb
bob

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Bob, I've been fishing clear lines for a few years. I've had the Cortland 44sl and the SA mastery series. I prefer the cortland. They are great in lakes, but I also love them for beach angling. Here's a tip for deep water chironomid fishing, the Chan technique. Cast a clear sinking line. Set your rod down. look and the birds, the sky, the trees, basically, take a moment to enjoy your scenery. then, after the line has sunk clear to the bottom and the line is perpendictulur(sp), start a slow retrieve. The hand twist or figure eight work well. Now, finding the bottom is key, I use my anchor rope to measure the depth. I also use a thermometer on a rope to find the proper depth where the fish will likely be chill'n. ya know, the feeding zone. Hang on tight, the strikes can be violent. Or subtle, but usually the fish hit with a vengence. Deep water chironomiding at it's best. YT:beer2

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.