Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys setup your line for Chironomids? What I mean is how many flies are you fishing and how do you tie them on? (knots and all). I bought the Brian Chan DVD and I was really disappointed that it was lacking in this area. Maybe some of you have some tips?

Thanks

·
Registered
350 Posts
Bobber--flourocarbon to 1st fly, improved clinch--improved clinch to bend, flouro to 2nd fly, improved clinch. 1st fly has to have enough weight to hang chironomid straight up and down in water column. Normally they come out of the bottom red and as they wriggle straight up they change color to what they emerge as. If 1st fly does not have enough weight then pinch on weight above 1st fly 10". That is how I was taught and I'm stick'n with it.
Craig

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
It depends on the type of lake. If it is selective fishery rules like Dry Falls or Big Twin I use a two fly rig. If it is fly fishing only like Pass, you can only use one fly. For a two fly rig, I start with a 9' leader tapered to 4x. I determine the water depth I am going to fish and tie on flourocarbon tippet using either a blood knot or triple surgeons. I extend that to about 18" from the bottom. I will use either 4x or 5x here. I then tie another 18" tippet using a triple surgeons and leave a tag end about 3" long. On that I tie my top fly with a loop knot. I use a corkie type bobber, so thread that on before you tie any flies on! You can use a self releasing indicator if you like, but I still like to pin the indicator with a toothpick and take it out with my teeth while I'm fighting the fish-have never lost one doing this! I then tie the second fly and try to cast the cumbersome beast! Keep your loop open to avoid tangles. To determine where to pin my indicator, I clamp a pair of self-locking pliers on the bottom fly and let in sink to the bottom. I pin the indicator about a foot+- from the bottom. If you are fishing deep-more than 14' or so, I use a small split shot above the top fly to get down faster. Rick

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
space at least 18" ,I go 24" between them otherwise I have seen others that foul hook the fish. be careeful adding wieght to the line cause if it's fly only water weight is not allowed on the lines.

·
Registered
695 Posts
It depends on the type of lake. If it is selective fishery rules like Dry Falls or Big Twin I use a two fly rig. If it is fly fishing only like Pass, you can only use one fly.
Rick, the regs state that you can use 2 flies in fly only or selective gear waters. Check out the "fly only" definition on pg. 18. If you were in BC however almost all waters are restricted to a single fly.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
With some of the smaller chiros, it is hard to get two tippets through the hook eye. The whole idea of loop knots it that the fly is free to swing with no (or little) influence from the tippet. Tying the second tippet on the bend of the hook makes your top fly pretty immoble. That is why I like to tie the first fly on a tag off the main line with a loop knot-it is free to float around naturally. In a river, I use improved clinch knots and hook the second tippet for the dropper to the hook bend of the first since moving water negates (IMO) the swinging alspect of a loop knot. Having said that, when I was in New Zealand, my guide tied the river rigs just like I tie my chiro rig and he thought it was important to do that. Rick

·
Kayak Fly Angler
176 Posts
If it is fly fishing only like Pass, you can only use one fly.
From the Regs:

"In 'Fly Fishing Only' waters, an angler may use only the following tackle: up to 2 flies, each with a barbless single-point hook, not to exceed 1/2" from point to shank, and a conventional fly line..."

Like your set-up, though! And good, detailed instructions.

(Woops - flogging a dead horse. I think I was writing my post at the same time as Plecoptera - sorry, Rick)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In Rick's example would you tie your top fly right into like a dropper loop or do you tie a dropper loop and have some tippet coming off it to your fly? I am a little confused about this connection.

Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.