Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

chironomid techniques

5K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  aarenlainey 
To add onto the 15ft rule mentioned above, I usually don't switch until 20 or 25'. My reasoning behind this is that w sinking line your fishing just below the boat, and in clear water I feel the fish may be spooked by the boat at 15', especially in areas with a lot of pressure. I don't know if another 10' makes much difference, but it helps my confidence. I know some don't like casting leaders more that 15', so I guess it just depends on your comfort level. With 25' of leader, hooksets and casting are really compromised.

When I'm fishing an indicator with a 20' leader I will get take downs right at the boat, whereas at shallower depths they seem more reluctant unless there is more line out. Again I think a lot of this depends on water clarity and fishing pressure.

Lead is not the issue with the weight ban in FF only waters. I believe the rule is in place to prevent people from attaching weight to their lines in a manner that would allow them to cast the weight as opposed to fly casting with the fly line. I suppose you could just put a really heavy fly on within the 1/2" restriction and accomplish the same thing. There are no restrictions to lead or other weights on the fly, although some FF only waters have banned weighted flies in emergency situations when it was felt that anglers were using weighted flies to target/harass off-limit fish species.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.