Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

chironomid techniques

5K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  aarenlainey 
#1 ·
Anyone fish chironomids without an indicator, on a long leader, floating line? Seems like it would be fun, but the couple times I thought about it I did not feel confident with it. I usually try one cast and then get the indicator on. Also does anyone ever use 3 flies instead of 2 or 1? Seems like I can tangle two flies up real good, I hate to see what I could do with three.... Like many who have posted before, I seem to catch 90% of my fish on the bottom fly anyway so I am unsure how much good adding the third fly would be.

Wayne

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I think I just need ot go out and fish without an indicator for awhile to get the hand of it. I wanted to feel better about chironomid fishing a couple years ago, but whenever I would be out fishing, I would immediately change to stripping nymphs and trolling. I finally went out one time with just one rod, and only chironomids in my box. I got the hang of it fairly quickly - it only takes catching a few fish to make me confident in a technique.

I really need to get out soon to fish, maybe tomorrow......

Wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.