Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
LA RAMS are SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!
5,345 Posts
Very nice video Mems. You guys did great with the Milkfish and the Sail. Some nice Triggers and GT in there too.

Do you have a favorite Milkfish fly? I will be there in January again and want to go for one if conditions are right.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Milkfish flies, best fly is the lord's prayer, cause you need god on your side to catch those fish. They eat seaweed, so a fuzzy floating fly will get eaten, arno's milky dream is a pattern that works. I have also found that the fish out at the mouth of the lagoon are eating fish eggs. So this last time I brought some floating yellow eggs. My friend Jesse, who is crazy about this fish tried the eggs but they flew off the hook when casting. When an egg did land on the water the fish did eat. I would take the eggs and glue them on the hooks before. I think that would get some action. The fly I used was an unweighted wooly bugger, brown. Moana told me the milkies were eating a worm that was flowing out with the tide. I threw the wooly bugger and hooked three fish in 90 seconds, the milkies were charging that fly like nothing I have ever seen. I don't know if if always works, but it did for me at that time. I catch them here in Hawaii, and have used similar tactics. That congregation in the outgoing tide makes it a real viable milkfish fishery. They fight better on the flats, but are still a blast in bluewater. Good luck, I hope you get one on, landing them is another matter. When you go to land them be gentle, the mouth will tear very easily. You can grab the tail, gaffing them is a sure option, but that will kill the fish. The locals do like to eat them, so it is nice to give the larger ones to the guides to eat. Your choice. Post a picture if you get one, they are the holy grail to get on the fly. Have fun in CI there are plenty of good fish to catch there. Mems.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aloha Brett, Jesse is a great guy, just saved my other friend's life a couple of months ago after a bad hunting accident. He is an awesome caster and makes a good bottle of wine as well. Mems

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.